Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jetty Jumper

Psychiatrist warned campus police about Aurora shooter a month before mass murder

Rate this topic

81 posts in this topic

http://youtu.be/Q8-6b1dw_Zo

What are the Presidents mental health reforms to keep us safe?

The CBS report is titled "Holmes' doctor warned police before Aurora massacre"

A University of Colorado psychiatrist told campus police a month before the Aurora movie theater attack that James Holmes had homicidal thoughts and was a public danger, according to records unsealed Thursday.

Lynne Fenton, a psychiatrist at the Denver campus, told police that Holmes had also “threatened and harassed her via email/text messages” in June 2012. He is standing trial for the July 20 shooting rampage that killed 12 and injured 70 during a midnight premiere of the latest Batman movie. …

Soon after the shooting, university police said they had not had any contact with Holmes, a graduate student doing neuroscience research. But a search warrant affidavit released Thursday revealed that an officer had told investigators that Fenton had contacted her to report “his danger to the public due to homicidal statements he had made.”

In releasing the arrest and search warrant affidavits and other documents, District Judge Carlos Samour, the new judge overseeing the case, ruled that neither the prosecution nor defense had convinced him that making the files public would cause harm or that keeping them sealed would prevent harm.

The prosecution had tried to keep these records sealed, and it’s not difficult to see why. (They can be viewed at KUSA’s website, where they were posted last night.) The narrative from political and law-enforcement leaders in Colorado has been that this could have been anyone with a gun who just flipped out, and a society without gun control cannot hope to stop it. But Holmes didn’t just flip out shortly before the murder, and police had ample warning of the danger he presented.

Police have testified to having no contact with Holmes before the shooting. Why exactly was that? The complaint/warning from Fenton should have prompted police to make sure Holmes wasn’t a threat to Fenton, at the very least. Had they performed that standard follow-up — and remember, this was a mental health professional telling the police that her patient was both homicidal and threatening her specifically — the police might well have had Holmes in custody long before the shooting.

Instead, this information has remained under seal while Colorado politicians insisted that it was the guns that created the unforeseen danger of mass murder. The new release destroys that narrative, and poses another question. If police in Colorado can’t be bothered to follow up on information from a psychiatrist that her patient has become homicidal, dangerous to the community, and has threatened her specifically, why bother passing gun laws at all?

Update: Give CBS credit for covering this on their own:

The question on everyone’s minds is “Why?”, as Manuel Bojorquez says at the end — but not just “why did Holmes commit this murder?” We also want to know why the police never bothered to even talk with Holmes after Fenton’s warning.

Ed Morrissey

you guys are funny,

there is another thread where bedwetters are lamenting the fact that the cops followed up and went to someone's home to check to see if everything was OK.

at least be consistent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish'nmagician View Post

you guys are funny,

there is another thread where bedwetters are lamenting the fact that the cops followed up and went to someone's home to check to see if everything was OK.

at least be consistent.

You're certainly consistent. The issue was not that they came to his house. The issue was that they had no probable cause and therefore had no search warrant, but tried to bully their way into his gunsafe anyway by threatening to take away his kids. Like all bullies, they cut and ran when the red sea didn't open right up for them.  

You're certainly consistent. The issue was not that they came to his house. The issue was that they had no probable cause and therefore had no search warrant, but tried to bully their way into his gunsafe anyway by threatening to take away his kids. Like all bullies, they cut and ran when the red sea didn't open right up for them.  

Wow. I can't believe you had to explain that. :dismay:

Oh, the issue is that they came to the house. There was nothing disturbing or threatening about the photo that prompted them to have 4 or 5 government lackeys show up at someone's home. NOTHING, NADA, ZIP! Nothing illegal. Nothing indicating a threat of any type, nature or kind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by epanzella View Post

Oh, the issue is that they came to the house. There was nothing disturbing or threatening about the photo that prompted them to have 4 or 5 government lackeys show up at someone's home. NOTHING, NADA, ZIP! Nothing illegal. Nothing indicating a threat of any type, nature or kind.

I don't blame LE just for coming to the house. I believe they were obligated to come because of the complaint by the family services broad. She was the dimwit. I do have an issue with the cops trying to bully the homeowner once they got there. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny View Post

maybe,

kid looked like a GNIT to me.

police showed up at the door to follow up,

and bed wetters described it as a HOME INVASION.

can't have it both ways,

don't cry that they follow up one day,

then point fingers of blame that they didn't the next.

If you want to sell the notion that people can have unrestricted access to guns,

and it's up to the cops to proactively identify the defectives,

then don't cry when the cops want to follow up on a tip.

maybe,

maybe,

can't have it both ways,

If you want to sell the notion that people can have unrestricted access to guns,

You know, I've noticed since you've come back the direction of the PG Forum has gone down hill. You really are the source of a lot of the crap that goes on here. In your absence there were some good conversations with a minimum of name calling. You come back and every thread you participate in turns to acid. Really poor. Everyone here, including me, has gone off the rails from time to time but you do it consistantly and purposely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight771 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish'nmagician View Post

maybe,

can't have it both ways,

You know, I've noticed since you've come back the direction of the PG Forum has gone down hill. You really are the source of a lot of the crap that goes on here. In your absence there were some good conversations with a minimum of name calling. You come back and every thread you participate in turns to acid. Really poor. Everyone here, including me, has gone off the rails from time to time but you do it consistantly and purposely.

I didn't want to bring it up but it's pretty obvious.

It is not his fault, it is everyone else that is causing problems.

We are an echo chamber, so of course there is no conflict.

Someone had to defend the guy with what he has said before.

It's all about context. Once I called the cops because my neighbor was using his fireplace on a school night. They didn't show up. :???: Another time, I called because the neighbor was putting a body in his trunk and they were there in force in 5 minutes.