Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gooch

.how many casts before lure change?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I personally am pretty stubborn. I always tend to stick with lures I have confidence in even when not catching, forgetting to change lures and try something else. When I do remember to change I do it about every 15-20 casts. Also when in a "blitz" I tend to stick with what catches never experimenting to learn something perhaps. I guess this is my "rookieness" coming through.

Obviously locations and crowd or lack of determine this, but for the most past I will fan cast a dozen or so and then change retrieves, then maybe add a twitch now and again for a few more casts. I will then change COLORS before a different plug, and do the same, then a change of plug, if nothing by then I walk or drift down to another "spot", or go to a deeper or more shallower plug(loaded/unloaded), but again that depends where you are and what the conditions are like, as these 2 are the biggest contributors as to plug choices when it comes to filling my bag.

Mike Lang

The other nite, I was fishing a spot that I was very confident held fish. I fished for 1 hour and a half catching nothing. I switched between a bomber and other lures, but frequently tied the bomber back on again. I had alot of confidence in the bomber. The guy next to me gave up and left. 3 minutes, I hooked up and proceeded to get 6 more fish. The point: For the first 1 1/2 hours, I could have thrown everything in my bag and don't think I would have hooked up. Either the fish were not there yet, or just not feeding. I think that the tide stage played a larger role in catching fish, rather than what lure I was using.

I usually give it 15-20 min rather number of cast.

Gadwall, please share your fly changing tactics. Having seen your collection, I would be hesitant to even tie on of your flies wink.gif

I tend to change flies most often when I'm catching fish. Being an unrepentent tinkerer I'm as curious to see what they won't eat as what they will eat. i.e. when squid are present, my bass will bust through sandeels mouth closed to get to the squid. Stuff like that(and all you guys!) are helping me to figger this striper thing out.

Thanks

gadwall

ps on moonless nights my glow in the dark crease flies out produce my standard models.

------------------

>< ))))*> ~~~~

[This message has been edited by gadwall8 (edited 10-30-2001).]

Mike Lang gave some very valuable advice. I should like to add the following.

1. When fishing shallow open sandy beaches with little structure, fan cast with lures that probe the top and the bottom of the water column. Change lures about every six casts. If you raise nothing, then move 20 yards in the direction of the current and continue the process as you go along.

2. When fishing deep open sandy beaches with little structure, fan cast with lures that probe the top, middle and bottom of the water column. If no strikes then move 20 yards in the direction of the current and repeat the process.

3. As to lure color chose those that give the greatest contrast with the sky when fishing the top of the water column(night - dark colors; day - lighter colors). When fishing the middle of the water column use colors the reflect the greatest amount of light and or offer the greatest contrast with the water (parrot; yellow, orange and green). When fishing the bottom of the water column use colors that offer the greatest contrast with the bottom (if white sand - then use black, red, purple or blue; if dark mud then use yellow, or pink).

Hope these suggestions help!

4 or 5 if I don't get a bump. 10 if I do, then I change to see if there are bigger fish around and if they want something different. I rarely cast twice in the same spot. If they are there, they'll eat the first time. biggrin.gif

Charlie

WAVEBEATER or anyone else,

What do you mean when you say when fishing the middle of the water "column" In this context what does column refer to?

Sorry if you think this is stupid questions but i am just newbie at this with only 10 surf trips under my belt.

There is no simple answer to that complicated question. There are too many variables. I sometimes change after 3 and sometimes after 30 casts depending on conditions, confidence in the lure, if I'm trying to locate fish etc.

Lately I can't even buy a fish. So needless to say I 'm trying a lot of different things out there. Usually i'll change every 10-15 casts. Now maybe every 5-10.

I 'm trying to stick with plugs/colors I know work. But lately they just aren't working so I'm going to some different colors/plugs. My bag holds about 70 of them so I have a lot to play around with. Hopefully I'll find the magic one soon.

I agree with slipknot. It depends on many things. For example, if I were fishing a rigged eel from a jetty, I might stay with it longer than if I were fishing a bomber. With a bomber, I would likely change the color or go to a bigger or smaller plug, etc. after just a few casts if nothing was happening. If I was certain there were fish around and I wasn't getting a hit, I would change frequently. If I were walking the beach searching for fish, I might stay with a plug I had confidence in for a much longer period of time. It all depends on conditions and your instincts at the time. smile.gif

Arne

Water column in any context refers to the different depths of water from the top to the bottom. Consider a cross section of a 10ft deep piece of the ocean - the top might be from the surface to 1ft....the middle might be from 4-6ft...and the bottom is the last foot or so. This is the water column.

I change when I'm sure any fish in the area has seen what I'm throwing them. Sometimes I'll make 2 or 3 casts in the same area with the same plug but will retrieve it a little differently. I do my best to give any fish ample opportunity to be seduced wink.gif I'll change lures before color. In other words, if I got no reaction on a schoolbus bomber, I'll try a rigged eel to fish deeper, instead of trying a different color bomber.

There's so many different scenarios, the simplest way to put it is I change lures when I'm sure any fish nearby have had an opportunity to eat what I'm throwing but haven't. I'm also with Gadwall, I'll change plugs most frequently when I am getting fish - I always have questions I need answered so when I know I have some hungry fish in front of me, that's the best time to get my questions answered smile.gif I've often landed a fish and immediately change something about my rig - either a different teaser, no teaser, adding a teaser, a plug change, hook change, or color change. I'm always curious wink.gif

TimS