Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jr

Carp Flies

Rate this topic

67 posts in this topic

Looking for some help. I live very close to the Blackstone River and want to start fishing for Carp. I tie my own flies and waould like some help as to which patterns would be good to start with.

small buggers, wooly worms, san juans

Barr's Spork is popular with the folks I know that really chase carp around my area.  cast it, let it sit, twich it to puff up the silt and let it sit again.  Looks almost like a bonefish fly

Look up Bill de Brooklyn, he posted some pics of his flies a while ago, I think he knows as much as anyone on this subject.

JC

I have found that for Carp a couple of simple patterns seem to work out pretty good. I tend to use either San Juan Worms, appropriately sized, and also Clouser swimming nymphs in the natural colors mimicking crawdads.....nothing fancy....I do tend to use black bead chain eyes instead of shinning brass beads....

I use these patterns for sight fishing for carp in our local reservoirs...

Adam

I have some limited experience with carp, I mean literally only a few days. But in a 20 foot wide tidal creek I fished for a big school of them that was very skittish and would scatter if you made a fast movement on the bank. I used a wooly bugger that ran a few inches under the surface on a slow retrieve and had a nice up and down rotation, shaking the marabou. It basically swam at about eye level of the carp, and I got a couple. The splash of the landing of the fly would freak them out too if it wasn't delicate enough.

small buggers, wooly worms, san juans

Barr's Spork is popular with the folks I know that really chase carp around my area.  cast it, let it sit, twich it to puff up the silt and let it sit again.  Looks almost like a bonefish fly

I believe that if you practice the twitch-in-the-silt method, the pattern truly does not matter. For example:

Most of my experience has been in still waters.  I have caught carp on small clousers and various rubber-leg concoctions.  My favorite patterns are small size 8-12 dumbell eyed rubber-leg bugger patterns in all colors but mostly black or orange.  I think Clouser says that his FoxeeRed minnow (virtually a soft clouser) and the clouser swimming nymph work well for carp in his neck of the woods.  A buddy of mine has used glow bugs with success when he though the fish were feeding off of berries.

Common Carp eat Everything!  Plant and animal.  I suspect that they even feed on Corbicula (an invasive clam extremely common in our freshwater waterways)...

To piggyback on this, would you say an 8wt is overkill for these? I fish for them with light freshwater gear, and they do put up a hell of a fight. Want to target them on the fly now as well.

To piggyback on this, would you say an 8wt is overkill for these? I fish for them with light freshwater gear, and they do put up a hell of a fight. Want to target them on the fly now as well.

Well, I used an 8wt to catch mine and they were definitely 5lbs or more. Good sized fish and bent the rod but I didn't feel overpowered and no propblem with the tippet breaking either. Seemed like a good match.

I've seen some giants in the central park pond there. Whoa. Tarpon sized.

The size of the rod depends on the fish.  I prefer to fish with a 7wt, currently I am without a 7wt though.  A 5lb carp is going to put a pretty good bend in a saltwater 8wt, which is what I'll chase them with until I get a new 7wt.  The fish I usually catch run 4-10lbs, the extra backbone of a the salty 7 and 8wts helps to beat the fish faster.  So yes, an 8wt would be fine.  One buddy of mine landed a 15lber on a 4wt!  I have hooked carp that size on an 8ft 4wt, the rod couldn't steer the fish out of some downed trees... Fish lost.

Fishing for Carp in a river is totally different than pond fishing for obvious reasons. I'm guessing that you are sight fishing for them. In a river you need a fly that will get down to the fish in a hurry. I fish any nymph style fly with bead head or dumbell eyes. The key is getting the fly in front of the carps mouth and dealing with current at the same time. I was told a long time ago picture the fish holding a dinner plate in his mouth, your fly must land on that dinner plate, hard to do. An 8wt. in a river is not overkill.:D

This is a fly I've done well with. Carp will eat many things as others have said, and I like flies that may imitate many things, including crayfish. I don't think the exact pattern is that important, as long as you can get close enough in front of them where they can see it without spooking them, carp will eat the fly. However, as this fly shows, soft materials & "buggy" is a good bet, and this style rides with the hook point up so it doesn't snag the bottom. Someone told me that orange in a carp fly works well, and it has for me, so I incorporate a bit of orange in many carp flies I tie. This one has a wing of dyed coyote, and the body is dubbed with rabbit fur over the orange tying thread. The tail is rabbit fur.

This style is simple, and you can do a lot of things with it, just by varying the color, the eye weight, or you can add rubber or silicone legs to it if you wish.