Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paul_M

Suspended ceiling replacement

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I need to have the suspended ceiling redone (new tiles and new metal) in my office It's about 850 st ft (not including 20 2'x 4' light fixtures) mostly 2'x4' tiles. I've got one estimate right now and I'm a little shocked at how high it is. Does anyone have any idea what that should cost on a sq ft basis? I am planning on using 5/8" Armstrong tiles. Thanks.

Aren't you replacing the grid anyway? If not, what did you mean when you wrote "All new metal?"

I don't know what this job should cost, but adding a cross piece to an existing grid to make 2 x 2 holes shouldn't require replacing the entire grid.

True about the cross piece to make them all 2'x2'. What I want to keep is the suspension the grid is hanging off. Making them all 2 x 2 Would give me a lot more options for hanging the 2 x 2 AC cassettes for my new ductless AC /heat pump. I'll have a couple more estimates and speak w the estimators about that.

Go to one of the box stores and price out the 2' grid pieces. They shouldn't be too expensive and you can easily do the math on how many you would need. given the square footage it would be approx 64 if you had a square room if I'm doing the math right in my head...

Typically commercial space uses 2 x 4 gridwork and residential uses 2 x 2. We did a dentist office a few months ago for $5/sq ft.

By "did" do you mean install the system entirely from scratch or just replace the tiles and cross pieces?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul_M View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by epanzella View Post

Typically commercial space uses 2 x 4 gridwork and residential uses 2 x 2. We did a dentist office a few months ago for $5/sq ft.

By "did" do you mean install the system entirely from scratch or just replace the tiles and cross pieces?

We did the whole conversion from generic office space to dentist office. Waiting room, three opertories, pump room  and rear office. All the walls ended up in different places so the ceiling was all new. The $5/sq ft was just for the new ceiling, labor & Mat. It didn't include demo of the old ceiling, ductwork or lighting. We're not a ceiling company but we did this one in-house because there was so many people on this job I didn't want to bring in any more subs. The company providing the dentist chairs, pumps and xray equipment had their own install crew and we were crawling all over each other.