Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Little

Common Sense Gun Control Measures

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

USA Today, coincidentally one day after the Governor signs draconian gun control into law:

Quote:

A University of Colorado psychiatrist told campus police a month before the Aurora movie theater attack that James Holmes had homicidal thoughts and was a public danger, according to records unsealed Thursday.

Lynne Fenton, a psychiatrist at the Denver campus, told police that Holmes had also “threatened and harassed her via email/text messages” in June 2012. He is standing trial for the July 20 shooting rampage that killed 12 and injured 70 during a midnight premiere of the latest Batman movie. …

Soon after the shooting, university police said they had not had any contact with Holmes, a graduate student doing neuroscience research. But a search warrant affidavit released Thursday revealed that an officer had told investigators that Fenton had contacted her to report “his danger to the public due to homicidal statements he had made.”

In releasing the arrest and search warrant affidavits and other documents, District Judge Carlos Samour, the new judge overseeing the case, ruled that neither the prosecution nor defense had convinced him that making the files public would cause harm or that keeping them sealed would prevent harm.

Here are all the docs.

http://www.9news.com/news/article/328521/71/Arrest-affidavits-records-to-be-released-in-Holmes-case

this is possibly why the CT state's attorney handling the Sandy Hook case is looking at pressing criminal charges against somebody even though the little twerp and his mom are dead.

I don't see how any of the new laws does anything but make felons out of law abiding citizens. People are just so stupid that it's amazing. Does anybody actually beleive that limiting magazine capacity could prevent another tragedy? This little nutjob walked into a school full of unarmed women and children. Even if he had to reload after every single shot, who was going to stop him? I also heard on the news that the whackjob had been planning this for years. He wanted his 15 minutes of fame to be the largest mass shooting in history. If some nutjob is so hell bent on killing, do you think gun laws are going to stop him? Best case scenario, all guns are illegal. What would stop him from building a bomb and just blowing up the whole school and killing everyone inside?

yeah, preaching to the choir.

in deliberations the other day the CGA members basically admitted nothing in the bill that was passed and signed would have prevented Sandy Hook.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob_in_CT View Post

I don't see how any of the new laws does anything but make felons out of law abiding citizens. People are just so stupid that it's amazing. Does anybody actually beleive that limiting magazine capacity could prevent another tragedy? This little nutjob walked into a school full of unarmed women and children. Even if he had to reload after every single shot, who was going to stop him? I also heard on the news that the whackjob had been planning this for years. He wanted his 15 minutes of fame to be the largest mass shooting in history. If some nutjob is so hell bent on killing, do you think gun laws are going to stop him? Best case scenario, all guns are illegal. What would stop him from building a bomb and just blowing up the whole school and killing everyone inside?

Considering the largest mass murder that has been committed was done with a can of gasoline....nothing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob_in_CT View Post

Actually this is about the Colorado case

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBRegime View Post

Make everyone register their firearms!

That way bad people with things to hide cannot go on mass killings.

I can't tell if you're kidding or not. I sure hope you are. 

I am very conflicted on this gun stuff. I understand the gun rights side, yet everything else in our lives has to be registered, cars, boats, even dogs, why not guns?

I am very conflicted on this gun stuff. I understand the gun rights side, yet everything else in our lives has to be registered, cars, boats, even dogs, why not guns?

The reason most of those things are "registered" is for the sake of collecting taxes. Taxes and control. How about we say we've had enough of that already?

When a firearm is purchased from a licensed firearms dealer, and the purchaser fills out ATF form 4473, for all practical purposes, the sale of that firearm is registered.

Form 4473

From Wikipedia

A Firearms Transaction Record, or Form 4473, is a United States government form that must be filled out when a person purchases a firearm from Federal Firearm License holder (such as a gun shop).

The Form 4473 contains name, address, date of birth, government-issued photo ID, National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) background check transaction number, make/model/serial number of the firearm, and a short federal affidavit stating that the purchaser is eligible to purchase firearms under federal law. Lying on this form is a felony and can be punished by up to five years in prison in addition to fines, even if the transaction is simply denied by the NICS, although prosecutions are rare in the absence of another felony committed with the gun purchased.

The dealer also records all information from the Form 4473 into their "bound-book". A dealer must keep this on file at least 20 years and is required to surrender the log to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) upon retirement from the firearms business. The ATF is allowed to inspect, as well as request a copy of the Form 4473 from the dealer during the course of a criminal investigation. In addition, the sale of two or more handguns to a person in a five-day period must be reported to ATF on Form 3310.4.

If a person purchases a firearm from a private individual who is not a licensed dealer, the purchaser is not required in most states to complete a Form 4473, though some states require individual sellers to sell through dealers.

These forms are given the same status as a tax return under the Privacy Act of 1974 and cannot be disclosed by the government to private parties or other government officials except in accordance with the Privacy Act. Individual dealers possessing a copy of the form are not subject to the Privacy Act's restrictions on disclosure. Dealers are required to maintain completed forms for 20 years in the case of completed sales and 5 years where the sale was denied by the NICS check coming back disapproved or other disqualifying information.

Quote:

Originally Posted by numbnuts View Post

Because no political group has sworn to take away you cars, dogs, and boats.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Williams View Post

The reason most of those things are "registered" is for the same of collecting taxes. Taxes and control. How about we say we've had enough of that already?

Also, you don't have too many politicians talking about banning and confiscating your cars, boats and dogs.

There are quite a few of them who would confiscate your guns if given half a chance. And the easiest way to start that ball rolling is to force you to register the guns, so they know exactly who has what. Next step is to ban some class of firearm, be it so-called "Assault Rifles" (which, by definition, are really not Assault Rifles, just look like one) or "Saturday Night Specials" or whatever is the flavor of the week.

When that doesn't work to decrease crime, they'll be back for something else like your "Sniper Rifle" etc.

No problem finding out who's got them. They're already registered!

It has already happened in many countries. Not just third world dictatorships either, but many so-called democrocies like England and Australia. It can, and will happen here

If you don't believe it,  just watch the news, or read the posts in this forum.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Williams View Post

The reason most of those things are "registered" is for the same of collecting taxes. Taxes and control. How about we say we've had enough of that already?

Also, you don't have too many politicians talking about banning and confiscating your cars, boats and dogs.

There are quite a few of them who would confiscate your guns if given half a chance. And the easiest way to start that ball rolling is to force you to register the guns, so they know exactly who has what. Next step is to ban some class of firearm, be it so-called "Assault Rifles" (which, by definition, are really not Assault Rifles, just look like one) or "Saturday Night Specials" or whatever is the flavor of the week.

When that doesn't work to decrease crime, they'll be back for something else like your "Sniper Rifle" etc.

No problem finding out who's got them. They're already registered!

It has already happened in many countries. Not just third world dictatorships either, but many so-called democrocies like England and Australia. It can, and will happen here

If you don't believe it,  just watch the news, or read the posts in this forum.

It's completely obvious that there are a lot of people who would love to see all our guns seized. Like you said, merely reading this forum you will find people that would line up behind any gun grabbing proposal.