Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jbrodin

Hollow Fly's first attempt, please comment

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

This is my first attempt at tying hollow fly's.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

hook: Mustad 34007 1/0

thread: mono

body: deer hair various colors

flash: SF blend seaweed

eyes: 3D eyes - oval pupil silver/orange/black or prismatic tape eyes - silver

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

Hi JBrodin,

I think you are off to a good start if these are your first attempts at the Hollow Fleye. What do you like about these flies and how they turned out? As a first attempt, what were your major difficulties in applying the technique? Was it pulling the thread through the collar? Creating the dam ahead of the bucktail? Nailing down the flair? I would be interested in hearing what worked and what didn't...

I like all of these flies but the first pattern has a little too much material for how I like to tie hollow flies. It might just be the angle of photo that gives the appearance of bulk, hard to tell. How many hollow tied collars are there in the first pic? It looks like maybe two Hollow ties and a tail? I find it is easier to build up the dam of material ahead of the bucktail if there is less material. More material equates to a larger mound/ dam of thread which can get out of control. Although many talented and accomplished tiers used mono tying thread for their Hollow ties, I rarely ever use it opting instead for flat waxed or denier thread. I made this switch because the mono thread does not compress and after a few wraps up on the bucktail (to control flare), it would roll back down. Basically, the thread never stayed where I laid it down.

Again, I think these are a great start and I would be proud these ties. You should see my first attempts. GAK!!

I think your first attempts are a great start.

You may or may not know about this website - please check out aswf dot org - click on multimedia then fly tying - tons of useful videos and such - check out Bob Popovics hollow fleye video.

The hollow fleye is a certain technique which takes much practice. My first attempts were absolutely horrible. Your first attempts are pretty darn good.

Bob Pops gave me great tip - sparse is a lot better for starting out with the hollow technique.

Best of luck and please share your future flies!

Joe

I like all of these flies but the first pattern has a little too much material for how I like to tie hollow flies. It might just be the angle of photo that gives the appearance of bulk, hard to tell. How many hollow tied collars are there in the first pic? It looks like maybe two Hollow ties and a tail? I find it is easier to build up the dam of material ahead of the bucktail if there is less material More material equates to a larger mound/ dam of thread which can get out of control. Although many talented and accomplished tiers used mono tying thread for their Hollow ties, I rarely ever use it opting instead for flat waxed or denier thread. I made this switch because the mono thread does not compress and after a few wraps up on the bucktail (to control flare), it would roll back down. Basically, the thread never stayed where I laid it down.

Again, I think these are a great start and I would be proud these ties. You should see my first attempts. GAK!!

Hi JBrodin,

I think you are off to a good start if these are your first attempts at the Hollow Fleye. As a first attempt, what were your major difficulties in applying the technique? Was it pulling the thread through the collar? Creating the dam ahead of the bucktail? Nailing down the flair? I would be interested in hearing what worked and what didn't...

First I feel M. Sax. gave was spot on as our British cousins would say. In this pattern less is more, the object is not to create solid looking fly but a big fly that is moving through the water with action and color is on faint along with some flash. Learning how to manipulate the deer hair fibers is key, spreading them around the hook, building a dam to hole them back and taper of the fly. All this plus thread tension and finally eye placement make it all worth wild.....you have a good start, better than mine.

If you are looking for a bulky head fly the Bulkhead Deceiver by Jonny King check this out for a great fly with bulk but on a smaller hook

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/569816/bob-pops-newest-variation-the-bulkhead-deceiver

Thanks for all your comments. My main problems are selecting the right amount of material and keeping the mono in place. It does slide quite a bit. I will try using the flat waxed thread next time. I used Bob's technique of tying the hair in backwards and using a pen barrel to push the hair back but when tying the dam the hair stood strieght up and I had to pull back the hair and put a few wraps around the hair clump to get them to sweep back. Is this normal. I've been tying in the tail then 3 or 4 stacks of hair. is this too much ? Should I use less?  Thanks again for all your help.

J the flies look good for the first attempts. I'll tell you it took me maybe 4 or 5 tries to get one I liked.

I always used to much hair for the tie-ins . And I switched to flat waxed thread. it seems to lay better on itself and doesn't roll down the dam like round mono did on me. And I don't think the fish will mind at all.

Also run your finished flies under warm water to check their profiles to see how you like the shape and set the deer hair on your flies.

I practiced tying single reverse ties on hook shanks to practice dams rather then tying complete flies I wasn't happy with and taking a razor blade to them and starting over.

Keep at it they look good and will get better.

Jbrodin, instead of using the pen barrel, get your hands on clear plastic tubing, the kind used with an aerator pump. Make sure it fits over the hook eye easily and use this to push back the bucktail. It allows me to really see how the hair is behaving when it is pushed rearward. It may not make much sense now, but when the hair strands cross backwards at different angles instead of straight back from the tube, it detracts from the overall flare. The aerator tube allows me to really see what's going on at the fold back point.

jBrodin. This is becoming one of my favorite patterns. I would suggest watching Steve Farrar's Hollow Semper Fleye on YouTube. I watched it probably 20-30 times, really studying his techniques. If you follow what he does very closely, you will learn a lot about the proper techniques of tying this pattern effectively.