Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slip n slide

Time for new wading boots

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

My old simms guide boots gave me a good run for the money,bought two pr back in '02 and they both pretty much hit the end of the road so I'm looking for input on a new boot.I like a taller boot so the KGB from Korkers is an option as well as simms new guide boot.The issue I'm looking at is traction.Esp in places like Montauk.Most of the time I fish traction is not a huge issue. I do like having studs for safety.But what works most of the time does'nt on the seaweed covered rocks of M.Do any of the sole options for the KGB boot work for the weedy rocks or should I be looking at the CastTrax Overshoes for traction in addition to a new boot?

How about all the aftermarket studs/screws? Have not used them before.Thanks for any input,thoughts,experience!

The new aluminum bar soles will grip anything... They wear out alittle quicker but have amazing gripping capabilities. I have them on my Korkers and have no problem with seaweed and such in jetties. Plus I have use them to on the salmon river in NY and have crossed while it was flowing at 1800 Cfs and I was alone and no problems. They get my A plus rating!!!

Ive been using the Simms Rivertek BOA since it came out with the hard bite cleats.  They are a tad stiff, but offer good ankle support and those hardbite cleats make a huge difference.  i dont know how a BOA lace would hold up in salt though. 

Slip n slide,

I got a pair of Chottas last year after my excellent Simms G3 wading boots lost their flet soles after a great deal of wear and tear. Simms don't sell these anymore so I tried the Chottas. The ones with a Vibram type sole with green coloured recepticles that take a replacable screw in stud pointy style.

The boots are leather are extreemly comfortable have not cracked but only a year old. They have elastic speed laces which I thought would be crap but have not broken and are a boon to have. The full retail price is approx $150. They will not grip quite as well as 20 studs plus per sole Korker strap on sandle but they are good.

Mike

I guess I'm hard on footwear as I wore out a pair of  chotas in a couple months, sent 'em, back and wore out the 2nd pr equally fast...soles crack where the cleat receptacles are. I liked how they felt, very comfortable, but just not durable enough for me.

Mullet,1800cfs and still standing? Are those gravity boots? lol! Sounds like what I need...

Anybody have any experience w/ the KGB boot?

Ted Check out STP for wading shoes. They have some good deals on named brands. Usually in the smaller sizes, but occassionally tey will go the full spectrum from 7 to 15.

I tried on the new Korker wading boots with the switchable traction and spike soles at he Somerset Show. They were under $140.00 and comfortable. I didn't buy a pair but will eventually. I liked the whole set up for stocking foot waders.

I picked up a pair of Chota's at Fishing on the Cape last year and they are excellent.

The new aluminum bar soles will grip anything... They wear out alittle quicker but have amazing gripping capabilities. I have them on my Korkers and have no problem with seaweed and such in jetties. Plus I have use them to on the salmon river in NY and have crossed while it was flowing at 1800 Cfs and I was alone and no problems. They get my A plus rating!!!

Those soles look very similar to my Patagonia Riverwalker boots which are lethal on anything apart from sand - even with studs in them they are crap. The stud screw in points are recessed compared to the tread so you lose half the length of the the studs! They're not a patch on my original Simms Guide boots with Aquatealth sole IMO.

any reviews on this boot?

I have the Rivershed which is the sweetwater version. They have held up very well since purchasing them 4 years ago.

The studs stick out plenty when jumping green carpeted rocks.

Those soles look very similar to my Patagonia Riverwalker boots which are lethal on anything apart from sand - even with studs in them they are crap. The stud screw in points are recessed compared to the tread so you lose half the length of the the studs! They're not a patch on my original Simms Guide boots with Aquatealth sole IMO.

Good points. Rubber on slick rocks=death

Adding the 'star' type studs to any of the Simms boots makes a huge difference. You can go with aluminum or hardened steel, or a combination to suit your preferences.  The Vibram itself doesn't give the best grip, but once they're studded up they're great.  I use a pair of previous generation Headwaters boots that I found on closeout for salt and fresh and like them alot, can still be found if you look around.  They're heavier than the new ones but have beefier construction, which I like.

I'm still trying to find a studs solution for my two-year old Simms Guide boots. Without studs, the boot sole is a slippery disaster. With studs, only slightly less so. I have tried the Simms studs and the Chota studs. I have tried all manner of different placements, more studs/less studs. This is by far the worst bottom-gripping boot I have ever owned. Too bad, because the comfort and support are excellent. If anyone has a recommendation for making these work, I'm all ears.

Steve Culton