Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
golden

Front page of the Globe glamourizing gray seals

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

I'd ask that everyone who sees the front page of the Globe today, realize that each one of those gray seals weighs between 300 - 800lbs, and contaminates the water with their waste and parasites that end up in your food. 15 - 20000 of these animals can easily destroy the inshore fisheries, and can support up to 200 Great Whites. Google Gray seal and you'll see these are not your cute little harbor seals, but bloated vermin of the sea. Happy Friday!

Yeah, let's blame gray seals for all of our fisheries, pollution and disease problems. :huh:

well maybe not all of our fisheries, pollution and disease problems but they are a major contributor.They also make great jackets and shoes.

Yeah, let's blame gray seals for all of our fisheries, pollution and disease problems. :huh:

So, you'd prefer an increase in cod worms, a decrease in inshore fisheries, and beach closures near haul-out areas?

There are only two real groups interested in leaving these seals as is:

Seal sightseeing tours.

Groups needing funding to keep their interests going.

...and perhaps PETA, but then again, they'd go to bat for rats, ticks, and mosquitoes....

So, you'd prefer an increase in cod worms, a decrease in inshore fisheries, and beach closures near haul-out areas?

There are only two real groups interested in leaving these seals as is:

Seal sightseeing tours.

Groups needing funding to keep their interests going.

...and perhaps PETA, but then again, they'd go to bat for rats, ticks, and mosquitoes....

Plus they are cute and cuddly looking. I guarantee if they had a face like a three-toed sloth you wouldn't hear anywhere near the outcry. ;)

-bd

Believe it or not, sloths are a new IN pet....

I'd rather a little hedgehog I can call Spiny Norman. (feed it dried, smoked seal.)

It makes no more sense to protect seals than rats! If someone could care less about fish or fishing they might care about water quality or the fact they can't go swimming because of all the white sharks! Sable Island had approximately 3000 seals in the seventies to over 300,000 today! If we lose our fishing and our beaches due to seal waste and white sharks I don't know why one would want to come to the Cape?

It makes no more sense to protect seals than rats! If someone could care less about fish or fishing they might care about water quality or the fact they can't go swimming because of all the white sharks! Sable Island had approximately 3000 seals in the seventies to over 300,000 today! If we lose our fishing and our beaches due to seal waste and white sharks I don't know why one would want to come to the Cape?

Well said!

Thanks, I'm going to have nightmares now! That picture is disturbing on so many levels,fishermen will never compete with that mass of blubber! That one group is the equivalent of a fleet of midwater trawlers towing up and down the beach all year long. On the upside it would be a great spot to cull if they ever change the marine mammal protection act,one can always hope!

Thanks, I'm going to have nightmares now! That picture is disturbing on so many levels,fishermen will never compete with that mass of blubber! That one group is the equivalent of a fleet of midwater trawlers towing up and down the beach all year long. On the upside it would be a great spot to cull if they ever change the marine mammal protection act,one can always hope!

Dream On....Brother![no offense].