Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Frick

My Yak Woes!

6 posts in this topic

Some of you here may have seen my little pre-notice about the selling of my Cobra Explorer. That plan is now on hold. I was waiting to see how I liked my new Scupper Pro before I got rid of the Explorer -- and while I like the Scup well and fine, the damn thing is defective. After my maiden voyage, I tried to hoist the thing onto my car and could barely budge it. Why? It had a couple of extra gallons of H2O inside.

I called Ocean Kayak. They told me to try plugging the scupper holes to see if that's where the leak originated. I did that today and, by golly, that's where the leak is all right. Must be that the seam didn't hold.

The nice OK people are going to try to get me a new boat but it'll probably be a few weeks. In the meantime, I'll be using the Explorer. And I might just keep the Explorer and sell the Scupper Pro when it arrives.

I'm pretty upset, though in fact the leak might be my fault: I built a wheel system using PVC posts that stick up through the scupper holes. It's a Barrell design, and a sweet design, and it worked ggggreat on my Explorer. But maybe it put undue pressure on the scupper seam on the OK and split it, though I can't tell for sure which of the three sets of holes has the leak. In any event, I don't think the seam should have split even with my wheel posts stuck in the holes; gotta be pretty weak there for that to happen.

So, that's what I stand. Unhappy -- but at least I've got a yak to fish on. Now, if only the fish would show up.

Frick

[This message has been edited by Frick (edited 05-01-2001).]

Well, the OK people say they'll have a new Scupper to me by Monday or Tuesday of next week -- how's that for service??!!

And, if that proves to be true, and if that boat don't leak, then maybe my Explorer will be back for sale toward next week's end, baring some other unforeseen disaster.

All I can say is, GZPZ.

Frick

Well, the OK people say they'll have a new Scupper to me by Monday or Tuesday of next week -- how's that for service??!!

And, if that proves to be true, and if that boat don't leak, then maybe my Explorer will be back for sale toward next week's end, baring some other unforeseen disaster.

All I can say is, GZPZ.

Frick

FRICK, That is the area that the tubes that are atached to the top of the mold contact the bottom of the mold. If you suspect a boat is leaking that is always the first place to check. To check a boat for leaks simply set it up on sawhorses and fill it with water. Im curios why the dealer didnt just give you a new boat?

Barrell

Glad that they're taking care of you but that's pretty lame to be leaking from the seams. There's no way that the dolly caused it. How does Joey like his new yak? I haven't been out in my Scupper Classic yet.

Barrell: The reason the dealer didn't just give me a new yak is, I bought the Scup long distance, from North Carolina, and I'm in NY. I got a ggggrreat deal on the boat -- and maybe I just found out why!

BTW -- any way to thicken the seams at the scupper holes?

JonS: Joey loves his Scupper; then again, his don't have no leaks. Anyway, it's faster than the Explorer; but on the downside, it's way heavier, and that's causing him some consternation. But, overall, he's pleased.