HOW MANY OF US ALSO USE LOW END TACKLE...AND LOVE IT ?

Rate this topic

JettyGuy

O.K. I know that it's very CHIC to EXCLUSIVELY use state of the art stuff, the higher price the better,right?:)

But I relish the days of catching non stop, using some extraordinary el cheapo rods and reels,too.

My best caught and released beach fish last year was caught on a Tica Libra reel and a nine foot Tica DOLPHIN rod.

It's true that the Libra 4500 reel felt like it would explode at any minute against the maneuvers of the twenty nine pound class bass, but the reel

still functioned admirably. I love the rod,too and for a$135 bucks that rod casts bombers better for me than any other rod ..including the LAMIs that are similar in size that I own. And, the Lamis are $430 dollar rods.

Granted,If I was stalking big fish in a rocky area where I'd be confronting boulders,battling nut breaker sized waves and dunking reels ,I'd be using my Staal or Torque and a more "backbonish' higher end rod. But that's just me and my mind set. Truth be known, there are some pretty highly functional low end rods and reels out there that hold up fairly well under all conditions,except maybe skishing. But like so many others I feel compelled to always have high end stuff...falling victim to the "WHAT IFs" that enter my mind. What if the extra gear made the difference, or that special graphite mix..blah..blah..blather.

But ,I have to admit sometimes it's fun catching "THEM" on the el cheapo stuff. It's also very funny when I am hammering fish next to the guy who has on

his $500 dollar waders and aqua skins..and two thousand dollar rod and reel combo. I like to rub it in,"You need to get yourself a TICA and switch to Cabella's seventy dollar waders..then you might up your catch!" :D

How many of you also have your special low end rods and reels that you really enjoy?

Ugly sticks check

I had a 8 ft tica rod that I was absolutely in love with and was worth all of the $110 I paid for it.

I used that US reel long cast model for good part of one season, great little Piece of ****e, I landed some big blues on that reel despite the handle feeling like it was going to break on every turn.

Yes crap does have its place sometimes

I Fish therefore I Lie

Caught many nice fish on Okuma spinners,Ugly stik rods.Just started using a Okuma Avenger baitfeeder reel fishing jigs for blackfish last year.Did the job very nice.Hooked a fish,turned the handle and landed fish.Will be using it jigging fluke this summer.

A friend of mine will only use Fenwick rods. One day he meets a rod builder on the beach who looks at his fishing rod.."YOU know that nine foot Fenwick for the price has one of the best blanks ever made!"

The rod was a combination of graphite and fiberglass rated 1-4ounces, beautiful stick and at a price point of $120, a wonderful stick. The downside,in my not so studied opinion, after developing such a beautiful product they used the cheapest guides you have ever seen....he was constantly replacing them. But this rod builder was a fellow of note, who insisted the quality of the blank and the durability and lightness of the rod, was a unique value.

I tried a Fenwick ten foot SURF rod and although it was nice rod for $140 bucks, I wound up selling it to a friend. I mistakenly thought the rod would not hold up against nice fish...true story, the fellow who I sold it to

wound up on the cover of the Fisherman with a fifty!!!;) That went a long way to eliminate any misgivings that I might have had about that particular brand.:D

Last week I needed a one handed rod for some early fishing. I dug up an old trout rod that was about 30 years old and took apart a 50 year old Luxor 100 and completely cleaned and relubed it. Beautiful set up that caught me 80 bass for the day.

Last week I needed a one handed rod for some early fishing. I dug up an old trout rod that was about 30 years old and took apart a 50 year old Luxor 100 and completely cleaned and relubed it. Beautiful set up that caught me 80 bass for the day.

80 bass very nice! Were Luxors considered medium end reels when they were in vogue ? My logs tell me that those rats that you caught should be in the state that claims the praymantis and the American robin as their official state creatures. There was also a yankee there in King Arthur's court. I have had a few there myself. But eighty, that's sweet,hope the rest of your season is as productive.:) On the serious side ,i hope that you got them on L.I. I have had a few,but they are local fish.

I have a buddy that loves the SHIMANO SPHEROS....I personally had nothing but problems with the STRADIC...I could never get the reel to last more than one season and the damn maintenance portal lubing never really

seemed to work,for me. i never got the hang of that reel. I know some people love it.

Another cheap reel was this French piece of crap..that back in 1998 was pretty popular. I can't think of the name of the company...I think it might have been associated with Mitchell.

It was a two hundred dollar surf spinning reel ...it really had a unique look to it,but within fifty fish the bail exploded and the anti-reverse called it quits. They made a freshwater and a saltwater version of the same reel...just can't remember the brand name.

That's why I have to laugh when people take shots at the SLAMMER...for the 150 bucks...that reel was in my book, a great value.

I also never had a Okuma that didn't die a tragic death after one season.:D

I was about to buy.a Slammer on Monday. Any better suggestions at that price point?

I always got two seasons out of a Slammer.And, i fished the hell out of them. They are great values...but if you dunk them just make sure you oil the heck out of them that night.

Their anti reverse for me anyways didn't hold up more than two seasons, then the reel would go a few extra turns..not a good thing with a big fish on. Still I was fishing that reel as a back bay reel and

literally caught 1000 fish..before I started having any problems. Not a great ocean reel, but if you were careful about not getting sand and big waves over it...a wonderful reel for the price.

This year the new rage is the Penn Spinfisher V....I just purchased a 5500 and it's smooth as silk. The skinny here is that it has many seals so it is supposed to be very saltwater resistant. Meaning its usable for ocean and bay fishing. Meaning that Penn claims that if a sandy wave goes over the reel..you'll not have a problem.The drag is sealed.

The spool design is said to allow for longer casts and easier loading of braid. The 5500 fits nicely on a stout nine ft spinning rod and may be more suitable for a ten foot stick.

The 5500 goes for 159 bucks and the 4500 around $140. Another interesting thing is both reels are not heavy at all and if you compare the drag ratios with the Slammer's... you are getting a lot more power. The 450 Penn slammer had a drag of about 14lbs....the SFv has a drag of 25lbs in their 4500 model and 30lbs in their 5500.:)