Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sweep

Back country Islamorada

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I had no idea there were that many fish in the water anywhere, surf fishing in NJ could never prepare me for pulling out fish after fish miles away from land in the everglades.   Ladyfish, Mangrove snapper, Speckled Sea Trout, Jacks, what a blast.  Almost every cast produced a fish and no other people or boats to be seen anywhere.

Having said all that, can't wait to get home and surf fish on Sunday :)  Something about that suspense that I miss.

There's a whole lotta water out there, too. Used to make the run from Lower Matecumbe to Sandy Key and Flamingo and fish all the banks along the way. Trim the motor up and hang on, absolutely spectacular country!

I had no idea there were that many fish in the water anywhere, surf fishing in NJ could never prepare me for pulling out fish after fish miles away from land in the everglades.   Ladyfish, Mangrove snapper, Speckled Sea Trout, Jacks, what a blast.  Almost every cast produced a fish and no other people or boats to be seen anywhere.

Having said all that, can't wait to get home and surf fish on Sunday :)  Something about that suspense that I miss.

Lived in FL for almost 4 years, and as much as I enjoyed fishing the beaches and back country down there, there is still no comparison to Surf Fishing striped bass in the NE...just my opinion as I'm sure many will disagree.

Lived in FL for almost 4 years, and as much as I enjoyed fishing the beaches and back country down there, there is still no comparison to Surf Fishing striped bass in the NE...just my opinion as I'm sure many will disagree.

Crazy Al might want to chime in on this.

I've been down to the keys numerous times and there are endless fishing holes to be found.  The fishing is amazing but I still live for the challenge of surfishing in the North East

<br />

Caught a bunch of these one Feb. same place you were. Got them off a little sunken tree branch in the middle of nowhere. Unreal how hard it was to get them off the bottom with  lmb gear.

We spent 10 days there in Feb 2011. It was the coldest they had seen it in 100 years. There was a large fish kill because the shallows cooled so fast. We still caught so many fish I can't wait to get back there. I towed my Parker pilot house there from Virginia (22 hours) and had a blast.

I also want to spend the winters there when I retire.

Steve