Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cliffblair

Navigator Fishfinder

27 posts in this topic

I am picking up my new yum yum yellow Navigator this evening. The first item I mount will be my Humminbird fish finder. Where do you guys feel is the best spot? The only illustration I have seen is on the A hatch.

The tansducer will be mounted inside the hull and I have a neat 8 amp gell cell battery. I wonder if mounting the finder on the A hatch would make it too far forward to read easily???? I assume mounting for an Explorer would be aboout the same...Cliff Blair, Brockton Mas

Take it out with you and use a bean bag or something to hold it place and see what feels right for you. Don't drill any holes in it until you've tested the placement of various things. Look for paddle stroke impingement, leg movements, see if they hinder with your comfortable casting side. There are a lot of variables and you should get a feeling for the pplacement of things before you start drilling. just some experience with bad placements. Scott

I'll second the RAM. I have four on my Loon. 3 for rod holders , one for the finder. They hold like a good weldiing job and allow for infinate adjustment of the finder/holder. Best of all is you end up with only a smooth ball on your deck when you decide to leave the rest of the gear home.

I like mine in the notch at the forward end of the cockpit. It's sized almost as if that's what they were intending to put there. That way it's right there, but it's protected from your feet. You can see it very clearly.

Barrel,

How do you like that vexilar compaired to other units? I'm still procrastinating about getting a ff. smile.gif I liked the look and portability of the vexilar..

Dick

Putting the fish finder in the notch makes it 48 inches from my face, can I read it ok at that distance??? It is a Humminbird 400TX, pretty good size screen. If Barrow can read his little one I should be able to read th Humminbird, right?

I've got the LC-10 and I'm farily certain that's the one that barrell has. Same as sharp1. I'm thrilled with it. Its a terrific unit but it isn't cheap. You could easily set up a nice working system for half the money. It is by far the most portable and compact unit going. It also works well, however Doug has the Pirahna 2 hardwired and his works just as well.

I wouldn't want mine so far away from me but barrell obviously likes his there. Everyone has their preferences. I also tend to fish a few kayaks. Having mine on the RAM mount makes it simple to move the unit between the yaks. I recently got a couple of sets of rechargeables for it and an 8 position charger. This way I've always got a set of batteries ready to go. Since the unit will operate for 75 hours on regular AAs I change the batteries out every 6 days of fishing to ensure that I don't run out of juice.

------------------

baja55@optonline.net

Cliff mount it on the notch.You will have no problem seeing it or getting to it.Try flush mount rod holders just in front of your feet.the angle works out perfect for trolling.Jon sells the flushmounts you need or you can get them at boaters world.

Doug M

Cliff,

I have my Garmin mounted on the forwrd section of the center panel so it is right between my feet.

I have a Nav also.

Look in the archives under "FF Installation Pics" and you'll see how I did it.