Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
c4charlie

2013 April Freshwater Fishing Reports

202 posts in this topic

Spring is finally here, sorry a little late on this thread! Tight Lines!

Thanks for another great thread last month and for being considerate. Thanks for sharing your pics, stories and also sharing the knowledge.

Same rules as always:

Report as little or as much as you wish but no "spot burning" for private freshwater areas that have limited access. I do not think it is a problem posting a report naming lakes like Round Valley, Lake Hopatcong or any of the other large lakes that can accommodate large groups of fishermen. But, once again, giving specific locations in those lakes is considered spot burning.

If there is something reported that you do not agree with or consider a spot burn, report the post. Do not further burn the spot by quoting a spot burn.

The theme will be learning how to catch fish, not where to fish.

Boat's all fired up and ready to go for opening day!

Im missing it in Jersey this year :mad: so pissed. But Ill hit it up here it CT on the 20th. should be a great day

I'm doing everything I can to not go trout fishing on Sunday but the wind forecast is ruining every other option. Might go look for early season shad since I am soo desparate to not be shoulder to shoulder with a bunch of googans.

I'm doing everything I can to not go trout fishing on Sunday but the wind forecast is ruining every other option. Might go look for early season shad since I am soo desparate to not be shoulder to shoulder with a bunch of googans.

I'm avoiding the samething NC season opens this weekend & I'm not doing the elbow to elbow thing for a fish. Will give it about 2 weeks then hit it.

Have you been checking out the reports on Woofish? ;)

At least tomorrow should see decent conditions.

you just need to find a better spot...or get waders haha ;)

My report for today...

The weather is beautiful so I went to go for some trout. It looked like it was going to be a good day when I could see the trout sitting at the edge of the bank. I broke out my fly rod and was getting ready to give it a shot. It was clear that I was being very quiet and careful, but this guy comes up to me and asks "hows the fish?" and walks right up to the edge of the river and goes "Look! I can see them!" His frantic pointing scared all of the trout and they quickly disappeared.

I moved on to another spot and landed two trout real quick...until this lady walks up with two dogs and has them jump in the water right near me. I politely asked her to keep the dogs at a distance and she said ok but I guess "at a distance" meant about 3 feet to her....

After she left, I got one more after about an hour and it looked like the trout were getting ready to bite again, until a few guys walked up and jumped into the river (they dared each other to...i guess) and needless to day it was time to call it quits after that. :mad:

Some people are just compltely clueless and inconsiderate, this is a TMA (trout management area) and one of the only places to fish in the area, and they have no awareness to just give the fisherman some space. Too many things in a row today, im still fuming :mad::mad::mad:

My report for today...

The weather is beautiful so I went to go for some trout. It looked like it was going to be a good day when I could see the trout sitting at the edge of the bank. I broke out my fly rod and was getting ready to give it a shot. It was clear that I was being very quiet and careful, but this guy comes up to me and asks "hows the fish?" and walks right up to the edge of the river and goes "Look! I can see them!" His frantic pointing scared all of the trout and they quickly disappeared.

I moved on to another spot and landed two trout real quick...until this lady walks up with two dogs and has them jump in the water right near me. I politely asked her to keep the dogs at a distance and she said ok but I guess "at a distance" meant about 3 feet to her....

After she left, I got one more after about an hour and it looked like the trout were getting ready to bite again, until a few guys walked up and jumped into the river (they dared each other to...i guess) and needless to day it was time to call it quits after that. :mad:

Some people are just compltely clueless and inconsiderate, this is a TMA (trout management area) and one of the only places to fish in the area, and they have no awareness to just give the fisherman some space. Too many things in a row today, im still fuming :mad::mad::mad:

You need to channel your inner New Jerseyian.

Something like "Hey *******, get the **** out of here you ******* ******bag!" really is quite appropriate for your described situations.

That is why I either walk way downstream from where they stock, fish the day after opening day or at least later in the day. Many folks don't realize that many stocked trout often slip downstream and stack up in some of the more quiet holes from 1/4 to a mile downstream depending on the water flows and if you have had any recent rain. I have often found a load of fish way down stream and had them to myself. Look for spots between the stocking and access areas that take a good walk or wade to reach and you can enjoy some success without having to get into a conga line. I also look for smaller pocket holes up against the bank that most bank hoppers miss. I have found a lot of nice fish in pocket water. There are some distinct advantages to having waders and getting down into the stream. You can wade through deeper water that would stop the folks with hip boots and spot areas that bank fisherman don't see or can't fish effectively.

lol @ slacker.

i am going out tomorrow there will be a few people on teh stream we are heading to but we have been going there since '83 (except a few years before and while i lived in CHI) and i think it was actually worse back in the early and mid 90's. we were there at 7am last year and were the first people on the stretch. by 8am there were only a handful of people and we were all very courteous. allowing kids to to get in the good spots etc. i guess its where you go, i know that certain stretches/pools on the Musky can be absolutely ridiculous until sunset. we usually stop at a couple and just watch people. there are ton of small streams that have been stocked that won't see more than a few people all day.

You need to channel your inner New Jerseyian.

Something like "Hey *******, get the **** out of here you ******* ******bag!" really is quite appropriate for your described situations.

Im one more negative encounter away from that point :soapbox:

Have you been checking out the reports on Woofish? ;)

At least tomorrow should see decent conditions.

yea and I haven't seen much except for down towards Lambertville. Still up in the air if I am going to go or not. Wind forecast is already starting to change.