Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mainiac

About thirty-five days........

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

.........until the herring show up in my local river. This is the usual kickoff to my striper season. I generally wait until Mothers day to begin my striper season.This year however I'm going to concentrate on the ledges at the mouth of the river come May 1st. My thinking is to intercept any fish onthe herring staging to run up the river.Big grocery flies on a nine wgt. with a shooting line will be the ticket to any success.I hope.:)

When do you guys start your Maine striper season?

Ill take a few trips down to the cape in a couple weeks but I always find that when they start showing up there we start seeing em here! See u guys out there! Tight lines

I usually wait until I catch my first striper on a shad dart, around May 15 or so. Try to make a couple of trips a bit south to intercept them on the way up starting about May 1. Always good fishing for 30"+ fish by May 25, maybe earlier. Friend I was fishing next to got a 42" on May 20 a couple of years ago...big fish are here a lot earlier than most people think.

If the current drier pattern holds true and we get a few more SW'ers in April then I am on it first week in May. migrating fish have shown up to Eastern LI at this point... good sign ;)

We need some warm air to bust the winter pattern dammit.

I feel good about this year and predict fish before May 15. boat goes in that week (waiting on the docks)....god willin.

Cheers and bring on the 2013 season!:)

Jim

.........until the herring show up in my local river. This is the usual kickoff to my striper season. I generally wait until Mothers day to begin my striper season.This year however I'm going to concentrate on the ledges at the mouth of the river come May 1st. My thinking is to intercept any fish onthe herring staging to run up the river.Big grocery flies on a nine wgt. with a shooting line will be the ticket to any success.I hope.:)

When do you guys start your Maine striper season?

When YOU tell me it is time!! ;)