Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
quonny

conventional reel braid or mono

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I have just orderes a daiwa lexa 300HL to put on a Loomis MBR 844C 7'rod. I have had the rod a few years, and never really did anything with it. It was either sell the rod, or get a reel.For the most part I use fly rods and spinning tackle. Anyone got any ideas on braid vs. mono for a set up like this> Does braid offer better casting distance? Also, any comments on the reel slection?...............Thanks

in my experience braid casts a little farther, but are a real pain in the a** to get untangled in the event of a backlash. i use mono for all of my heavier stuff, mainly because i also pin rig in the summer. braid will work fine as well. holds a lot more line, works great when im fishing on the rocks. but either will do. it just depends on your preference. and as for the reel i have never fished with that reel, nor know anyone who does, but i'm sure it will do fine. low profile bait casters work great with lures.

I use braid on all of my conventional and baitcasting reels. Just set the brakes a little heavy until you get used to casting and you should be fine.

If you are going for strictly casting I'd vote mono, just because mono when reeled in doesn't tend to dig into its self or be loosely put on like braid, so when casted out mono does not bird nest or backlash like braid. But for strength and alot of other things I would go braid. I personally have braid on all my reels and just add a 50 yard mono topshot so I can cast farther