Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
quonny

Conventional rod/reel setup braid or mono

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I have a GLoomis MBR844CIMX 7'casting rod, that I have had for a couple years, and I was thinking I was going to sell the rod, or get a reel. I have never been a conventeniol guy. I use spinning and fly rods, but decided to take on the challenge of learning how to operat one of these setups, so I have ordered a Daiwa Lexa 300HL to make an outfit. My question here is what to spool the reel with, braid or mono? I will be casting this from shore with plastics, metal, and small poppers. I generally use 15 to 20 lb PP on spinning tackle. There are also not a lot of reviews on the reel I have coming, but what I did see looked pretty positive. I would appreciate any input.

Thanks

Being new to conventional gear I suggest you start out with mono. There is a learning curve when using a bait caster.its a lot different from throwing spinning gear. Star slow & don't try to cast to the 2 nd bar. Get your casting down & learn how to use your thumb.

I use 17 lb Sufix Elite with a heavier shock leader. Wrapped around the spool a few times. 30 lb test.

You will get a few birds nests but are easier to take out using mono. If you decide to switch to braid later so be it. 1000

Thanks for the comment . It has been so long since I have used mono, is there any particular brand that seems to be popular now? I have always used Ande, but it has been 15 years since I spooled a reel with mono.

I know it's not a popular opinion, but honestly I think braid is easier. A lot of people say it's harder to pick out a backlash with braid, but the backlashes I get when using braid aren't anywhere near as bad as the ones I get with mono. Mono is stiffer, which gives it a tendency to spring off the spool, and a "professional overrun" will leave you with a fluffy, ungodly mess.

Since you're just starting out with baittcasters I would recommend starting with mono or fluoro first as it doesn't have the tendency to dig into itself like braid. To combat this in braid you must spool the line very tightly, like 5 -7 lbs of drag pressure. heck of alot less expensive to cut out when you're just learning too. Switch to braid when you feel comfortable casting your reel at high speeds.

Also, I would start out by engaging the mag/centrifugal brakes 100% and slowing backing them off as you become more comfortable casting.

I don't like mono at all, ill use a heavier braid 65-80 instead of being forced to use mono. I also think its no big deal learning on braid, if the reel is magged properly it should not be a problem.

I have the abu 5500, 6500, record, 7000 and a akios all with 30 pp. the only problem i have once in a while is that if i am using a bomber or sluggo and reeling in slow, the line isn't getting wound tight and if it gets  a little spongy  i might get a nest if i am not holding the line between my fingers

I like using Tortue mono on my baitcasters - seems to be very good line for them .... Make sure you learn how to set up your reel correctly , and try a few gentle casts at first , before attempting distance . Once you master one of these reels , your threadlines will gather dust , except perhaps on windy days . They are fantastic for accuracy and control , and when a fish is on they are way better to fight it ... Their only disadvantage is their dislike of light weight lures - choice of lure weight is critical for casting performance ...

I know it's not a popular opinion, but honestly I think braid is easier. A lot of people say it's harder to pick out a backlash with braid, but the backlashes I get when using braid aren't anywhere near as bad as the ones I get with mono. Mono is stiffer, which gives it a tendency to spring off the spool, and a "professional overrun" will leave you with a fluffy, ungodly mess.

No way I beg the differ ..in my opinion mono is much better to start out with ..I still use trilene big game 15lb ..I have been using this for year on all my conventional reels ..on my spinning reels I use firewire ...I strongly suggest you use mono or fluoro. ..till you get t he feel of your reel ...then you make your choice ..getting a birds nest out with braided is not fun ..hell getting a birds nest is a pain even more in the dark ...lol ..good luck

Just for cost factor alone. Braid is expensive. Not saying you"ll get a birds nest but more than likely you will. We all do at times. And depending just how bad it is could or could not cost you a spool of line. I sold a member a brand new Abu chrome rocket like the one pictured above spooled with brand new line.

I won't mention his name but he said he was familia with throwing a conventional reel.

Long story short he took the reel home & went out to a field to cast the reel.within 45 min. He had all the line cut off because of birds nests. I had casted the reel before I sold it & had it tuned nicely. The line was 17 lb Sufix Elite. Now if that was braid that would have been $30 some odd in wasted line.

It's your call my friend. Don't get hung up about you'll get more distance with braid. Learn the reel & how to use it before shooting for the stars & then if you decide on braided line so be it.just looking out for your interests. Remember go slow & don't get frustrated! Good Luck

Just for cost factor alone. Braid is expensive. Not saying you"ll get a birds nest but more than likely you will. We all do at times. And depending just how bad it is could or could not cost you a spool of line. I sold a member a brand new Abu chrome rocket like the one pictured above spooled with brand new line.

I won't mention his name but he said he was familia with throwing a conventional reel.

Long story short he took the reel home & went out to a field to cast the reel.within 45 min. He had all the line cut off because of birds nests. I had casted the reel before I sold it & had it tuned nicely. The line was 17 lb Sufix Elite. Now if that was braid that would have been $30 some odd in wasted line.

It's your call my friend. Don't get hung up about you'll get more distance with braid. Learn the reel & how to use it before shooting for the stars & then if you decide on braided line so be it.just looking out for your interests. Remember go slow & don't get frustrated! Good Luck

2nd

buy a one pound spool of mono, and a sharp pocket knife. This will save you a ton of money and reduce the stress and frustration you'll go through in the learning process. I find that in the 1# spool I pay about 1 cent a yard. If you should choose to go with braid later on and there are good reasons to, you won't be looking at $30.00 birds nests.