Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Barramundi

Shimano Calcutta 700 B query

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Hi , about an hour ago I received a mail - order CT 700B , and have a question about it [ which finally got me to join up here , after lurking for some time ] .  It differs from my ABU baitcasters in that it does not engage from freespool mode by turning the handle - I need to flick the clutch lever up manually before it will wind in line . I am wondering if this is normal , or might this particular reel have a manufacturing or assembly fault ?  [ if this is normal , I am some what disappointed as I prefer the instant engagement of the ABUs , simply by turning the handle . ] Any feed back or advice is much appreciated ....

Hi , about an hour ago I received a mail - order CT 700B , and have a question about it [ which finally got me to join up here , after lurking for some time ] .  It differs from my ABU baitcasters in that it does not engage from freespool mode by turning the handle - I need to flick the clutch lever up manually before it will wind in line . I am wondering if this is normal , or might this particular reel have a manufacturing or assembly fault ?  [ if this is normal , I am some what disappointed as I prefer the instant engagement of the ABUs , simply by turning the handle . ] Any feed back or advice is much appreciated ....

This is what I read from the product description: "Manual Return Clutch Lever (700 models only)" .... So, I guess that says it all. But do not be disappointed, as most of us prefer a manual clutch lever anyway and you will get used to it sooner and will prefer it to the automatic ones.

Cheers, Maruthu

BTW, Welcome aboard!

I too fish for Barramundi here in India.

Offcourse, Mangrove Jacks take the lure more often than the Barramundi :)

Any barracudas around where you fish?

Cheers, Maruthu

Thank you Marathu for the reply -  I was concerned it may have had a fault . I am sure I will adapt to it ; just seems a bit fiddly ....   Yes Mangrove Jack here also - I reckon pound for pound they out fight barra by a long way . I suspect Australia and Asia share many species .... Yes barracudas also , in the sea and estuaries . I once caught one about a metre long - a very slack fight in the water , but it went crazy in the dinghy !!