Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfcaster1

710Z or 704Z with This 9 Footer?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Thread Closed and Moved to Rod Building Forum

I am planning on building a GSB1201L with a foot cut off the butt. My plan is to mostly fish eels with it. If I wanted to use either a 710Z or a 704Z with this rod- which one of these reels should I go with? If you have experience with this blank built as a 9 footer I would very much like to hear from you.

Thread moved to Rodbuilding Forum

I haven't fished that specific blank cut down but know the ability of both reels well. I feel if you were going to plug/bucktail with lighter line/braid the 710 would work but for eeling I'd definitly chose the 704, which could also handle both jobs.

For eeling you may want a little more backbone, that blank can make an awesome eeling rod but I'd cut the foot of the tip not the butt. And either reel would be fine. IMHO

For eeling you may want a little more backbone, that blank can make an awesome eeling rod but I'd cut the foot of the tip not the butt. And either reel would be fine. IMHO

IS makes a good point. I missed that in your original post. Cut from the but is what I thought you were doing. I'd still go 704 for eeling.

depends on how much of what line you need it to hold. something thick like 20# mono and I'd want the capacity of the 704. something thin like 30# powerpro and I'd go with the lighter 710....

I am planning on building a GSB1201L with a foot cut off the butt. My plan is to mostly fish eels with it. If I wanted to use either a 710Z or a 704Z with this rod- which one of these reels should I go with? If you have experience with this blank built as a 9 footer I would very much like to hear from you.

i have that exact same blank (10" cut from the butt actually) with a 710. No complaints whats so ever

I just picked up a Sea Striker 9' ($32 new) from a local shop for use with my 710z, usually plug with an Abu 6501 or 5501, needed a small spinning outfit for when its very windy.

This rod will be used strictly for eeling and my plan is to cut the 12" from the butt not the tip. I'm quite familiar with the blank. Normally I would match a 9 footer with a 710Z but, this is a bulkier blank than a GSB 1081L or M and with eels, I really am not looking for smaller fish. That's why I am thinking that a 704 might be better in this instance. If you have experience with a cut down GSB120L I would welcome hearing from you. Many thanks to all who respond.

Thread Closed and Moved to Rodbuilding Forum