Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
newcut

Common ground on guns

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

I just read an article claiming the 91% of Americans polled supported various methods of gun control. My question is, would you expect to get the same result if you polled in front of the local Brady Campaign headquarters as you would if you polled at the local gun club? How about if I polled 3 or 4 of my friends? I guess my real question is, can anybody read or hear anything from the media any more without the first thought being that it is just a load of crap spun to influence, rather than to report the truth? There are just so many cases where the media reports "Everybody thinks this", but everyone I know, or hear talking about it, think "that".

I saw one popup online poll recently where what appeared to be the little X to close the annoying pop up was strategically placed over the "No", so in trying to avoid the issue, you inadvertantely voted against whatever it was. I'm guessing "No" won.

Quote:

Originally Posted by newcut View Post

I just read an article claiming the 91% of Americans polled supported various methods of gun control. My question is, would you expect to get the same result if you polled in front of the local Brady Campaign headquarters as you would if you polled at the local gun club? How about if I polled 3 or 4 of my friends? I guess my real question is, can anybody read or hear anything from the media any more without the first thought being that it is just a load of crap spun to influence, rather than to report the truth? There are just so many cases where the media reports "Everybody thinks this", but everyone I know, or hear talking about it, think "that".

I saw one popup online poll recently where what appeared to be the little X to close the annoying pop up was strategically placed over the "No", so in trying to avoid the issue, you inadvertantely voted against whatever it was. I'm guessing "No" won.

Polls are the story.

Obama has a media machine we have never before seen.

Its simple. Gotta fight back harder than ever.

Take a step for me.  Write a congressman once a week. Pick an issue, and tell him how to vote.

I do not hink we need more gun control.  I think we need parents to control their children instead.

When a minor is convicted of a crime, his parents should serve time with him.

it's not shocking that a majority of people support VARIOUS forms of gun control,

clearly we have a problem,

I'm sure most Americans Except the extreme gun nuts would like to address it,

the breakdown happens because we lack any agreement on what should be addressed.

Take back "common sense".

Common sense tells us that a rifle that has been sold to citizens since 1962, is not the source of murderous rampages today.

Common sense tells us that if the police use a rifle with 30 round magazine and a pistol with a 15 round magazine to protect themselves, the same weapons are suitable for citizens to protect themselves.

Common sense tells us that if government was truly concerned about the deaths of children, politicians wouldn't vote to fund abortions.

Common sense tells us that registering citizens as gun owners will mean nothing to the person who has decided to kill another person.

Common sense tells us that since Timothy McVeigh and Julio Gonzales murdered 255 people without firing a shot, murder is a software problem, not a hardware problem.

:v:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonnieB View Post

Perhaps 91% understand that we already have gun control.

perhaps,

reading the OP it states that 91% support various gun control,

that might mean they support some elements of what is already being done,

not sure if this 91% support ADDITIONAL measures or existing ones.

If this is the same article that I saw yesterday, it stated that 91% of people were in favor of background checks. Background checks were what was considered to be the "common ground"....and was the basis of the article...

edit: sorry, my spelling sucks today.

perhaps,

reading the OP it states that 91% support various gun control,

that might mean they support some elements of what is already being done,

not sure if this 91% support ADDITIONAL measures or existing ones.

I wonder what % of that 91% are uninformed to the point that they don't know we do have existing regulations.

Stats from NYC for 2009. Based on reports filed by victims, blacks committed 66 percent of all violent crime in New York in 2009, including 80 percent of shootings and 71 percent of robberies. Blacks and Hispanics together accounted for 98 percent of reported gun assaults.

I'd argue the trends are similar accross our American cities. The politicians would rather tackle guns as the problem than address the underlying socioeconomic/ racial issues facing our country. I don't have a solution but making citizens less free is not the answer

If this is the same article that I saw yesterday, it stated that 91% of people were in favor of background checks. Background checks were what was considered to be the "common ground"....and was the basis of the article...

edit: sorry, my spelling sucks today.

most folks think that background checks will weed out the unstable and/or mentally impaired

when in reality absolutely nothing is being done to address the core issue regarding mass violence