Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wildcard777

A wind knot deep in your spool. What do you do?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Say you're out in the middle of the night,---in the middle of nowhere--- then you get a wind knot deep your spool near the end of your cast.

It's so bad that it can't be undone.

Do you:

A. Cut the line at the wind knot and waste the 100 yards.

B. Cut the knot out then join the two ends with a blood knot and save the 100 yards.

C. Trim the wind knot so it flies through guides easier

D. Go home and re-spool

Please explain

Thanks.

Happened to me once. Though not at night. I had to scratch my head a bit, but I ended up throwing a plug along the beach to get to the knot (this wasn't an easy one to untangle) and snipped it off, then joined the two ends.

I hate cutting off line, so unless its only 5 yds or so, I'll always tie a blood knot. It definitely cuts down on the distance casting, but if you have 2 or 3 wind knots say twenty yards into your spool in a night and you cut them all, that's not helping the distance either. Unfortunately, I've had plenty of practice over the years, so tying the blood knots isn't that much of a headache. Its much easier to tie a blood knot at 2 in the morning on the canal than it is to tie on 5X tippet with a blood knot during a late evening caddis hatch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canifinish View Post

I hate cutting off line, so unless its only 5 yds or so, I'll always tie a blood knot. It definitely cuts down on the distance casting, but if you have 2 or 3 wind knots say twenty yards into your spool in a night and you cut them all, that's not helping the distance either. Unfortunately, I've had plenty of practice over the years, so tying the blood knots isn't that much of a headache. Its much easier to tie a blood knot at 2 in the morning on the canal than it is to tie on 5X tippet with a blood knot during a late evening caddis hatch.

That's what the surgeons knot is for..smile.gif

I throw the plug down the beach til I can get to the knot in the spool, then I use a sharp hook to drive through the center of the knot and pick it out. Done correctly, you don't nick the line and it only takes a few seconds. Pinch the line tight between your fingers and reel it back in. If I think I might have nicked the line doing this I might take a couple of wraps around my hands and pull tight til it hurts. I cannot recall ever having the line separate after this.

Note: I fish braid on a 704 exclusively, so this exact thing happens quite often. You get faster with practice :)

I hook my plug onto something set my drag real low or out it in free spool and walk backwards until it comes out. Usually I find the knot within the first 200 yards of line but it would suck if it's at the bottom of a huge capacity spool. I can usually get the knot undone and wind it back up nice and tight but sometimes ya gotta splice it. Splicing it sucks but fishing with a wind knot sucks more.

I saw a guy on a jetty in the middle of the night pull all the line off his reel into a pile at his feet to get a knot out. It naturally turned into a huge birdsnest but he methodically untangled the 100+ yrds of line and was back to fishing within an hour. One dedicated sob he was.

This is another reason why i always say that everyone should have a Penn 706 as a backup reel stashed in the truck.

Broken reel, knotted up line, whatever.......... go back to the truck swap out the reels and get back to fishing

It's cheap insurance.

And when I'm using smaller reels I always have a spare spool andor a spare bulk spool of 24# Fireline.

If I'm going to drive 45 minutes and spend $50 in gas to fish, by God I'm going to fish.

Say you're out in the middle of the night,---in the middle of nowhere--- then you get a wind knot deep your spool near the end of your cast.

It's so bad that it can't be undone.

Do you:

A. Cut the line at the wind knot and waste the 100 yards.

B. Cut the knot out then join the two ends with a blood knot and save the 100 yards.

C. Trim the wind knot so it flies through guides easier

D. Go home and re-spool

Please explain

Thanks.

Psst carry two spools. The problem that people are not addressing is that on many windknots you make a huge mess when taking line off to get to the offending reach around. :shock: Plus your doing it at night.

What I do is reel up remove spool slap the other on and continue fishing. No time loss.

Now when day light burns my eyes its time to fix the knit. First thing grab the offended spool and place it on the reels shaft............................................... Upside down. :shock:

This will keep the line on top of the wind knot from retangling as you clear. How does this work

. Magic? Heck I don't think that deep when I am short of sleep it just does.