Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
capecodder86

Upper cape fly fishing shops

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Herb,

You may find it hard to believe, but you are on the lower Cape in Ptown, the Upper Cape is over by the canal, it's because you have to go north on rt6 to get there.

JC

jonc

Never did understand the signposts on the Cape. The std compass does not seem to figure on The Cape.

So for tackle shops just think Fishing The Cape at Harwich. Goose Humock and Red Top as the big ones. Not hard to find with old fashoined maps for our OP.

See you there quite soon now.

Mike

I live in Falmouth and if you find an upper cape fly fishing shop let me know :( Eastmans in Falmouth carrys some flies and Redtop in Bourne has a modest selection, but they are definitely not fly fishing shops!

I 3rd Fishing the Cape.Chris and Dave will go out of their way to take care of you.Easy to find take exit 9 south to rte28 left on 28.Just over the town line of Dennis into Harwich on the left[rte 28 still] is a little mini-mall.they are in there.Great rod and reel selection,complete setups,specials,also they do casting lessons or you can attend their Hardy casting school.Held in the spring.

Bears Den is also a very class act.Great rod and reel selection.When I lived in Orleans we'd make a trip up to Taunton to pick up "stuff".That's also an easy ride.Now that they're right off the highway.I'd "do" both.Each has some different product.ROAD TRIP!!!

Also,in Kingston.Rodbuilders Workshop on 3a has flyrods and reels and blanks to build your own. a flytyers section and sometimes has great deals on materials.It's a very small shop but Smitty is a real nice guy.best to call or go on line in the off season for hours.

M&D's tackle in Wareham has some materials but I used to go there for eyes.He caters to plug building so he can have all kinds of really neat eyes.Another Class Guy!If you get into tying too.

Herb,

You may find it hard to believe, but you are on the lower Cape in Ptown, the Upper Cape is over by the canal, it's because you have to go north on rt6 to get there.

JC

Hah,but if you are going north you are on route 6 east. And at the end, you are still on route 6 east but you are going west.

Route 6 is one of the longest highways in the U.S. It starts on the west coast in California and ends on the east coast in Provincetown. The overall direction is west-to-east, regardless of the local twists and turns. So all the signs say "east" if you are heading towards Provincetown and west if you are headed towards California. That is the reason for the confusion.

The signs on roads between Chatham and Ptown are all reverse of the compass, that's what I was alluding to, it's a joke.

JC

x two for those who mentioned Bear's Den (hit it on the way down) or Fishing The Cape (very nice shop)...but if you're absolutely stuck in the area and can't leave the upper cape (to Falmouth area), Eastman's probably has the best stock of fly gear/accessories of all the non fly fishing tackle shops in the area