Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sodabiscuit12345

Penn Conquer 400 for $100...should I keep it or 'upgrade' to Spinfisher?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Got the last 2 Conquer 4000 on sale at a local shop. $100 each.

I thought I was getting the Spinfisher V because I don't know my reels very well.

Anyways, I've been reading reviews, and looking at prices online.

Seems like I could get the same size spinfisher online for ~$120/each.

Has anyone fished both? For $100, is it worth keeping them or spending the extra $40 to get Spinfishers?

Alan Hawk has the Conquer as a reel he does NOT recommend, but he doesnt mention why.

Any info appreciated.

thanks

That's a great price for a Conquer, actually the SSV is not an upgrade of the Conquer but an upgrade of the SSG & SSM. By the way the Conquer is a great reel, it's just that some can't get over the maintenance thingy.

Yeah, I really trust the reviews on this forum, but I was wondering if:

A) They just really don't like the real or B) they don't like the real at that price point (~$180 normally).

Im just looking for a reel that I can keep for years to come. I don't dunk it, but get the occasional splash when beach fishing just like everyone else.

Yeah, I really trust the reviews on this forum, but I was wondering if:

A) They just really don't like the real or B) they don't like the real at that price point (~$180 normally).

Im just looking for a reel that I can keep for years to come. I don't dunk it, but get the occasional splash when beach fishing just like everyone else.

If you don't get your reels wet, except rarely, and you know how to properly fight a fish - rarely will a reel at any price point, just let you down. It happens tho. The Conquer and V are great, especially if you know how to take care of your items.

Owned both, I would go with the spinfisher.

I owned 2 conquers and sold them both, the 5000 I had a lot of windknots on my mojo 8 footer.

The 7000 worked flawlessly, just didn't have a need as I was using that on my 9 fter for the beach and already had another reel.

I now own the spin fisher 4500 and love it

Sodabiscuit,

Where do you plan to use the reel? It makes a difference as to what I would recommend for you. My brother has a Conquer 4000 and it is a fantastic reel. It has held up to some very big fish and performed flawlessly. However, it is used primarily on the boat, where it doesn't get wet, or gets a spray mist on it when running. For a surf reel, i would look for something that doesn't have the big hatch on it.

Well, I would use it primarily here in Alaska for surf casting.

Its not a long season for me in the salt, but still really looking for a 'surf' worthy reel as I don't have a boat, other than maybe trying a bit of kayak fishing this year.

I will fish for Kings with it, and small halibut, but I don't really get those 25+ pounders.

It seems like the spinfisher gets a bit more positive reviews, even though its a less expensive reel.

Why is that?

Just bad pricing by Penn?

Keep the Conquer...

but dont dunk it... Just keep them oiled and reasonably clean .. and do not dunk them in the ocean.

You'll be fine.. its a solid reel..

I have two of them and they are fine reels..

You will be surfcasting, so the reel will be in the sand, gravel, mud and likely in the water no matter how hard you try to keep the reel safe. Right?

Now ask yourself this,

"which will hold up better, the reel that is sealed to keep out water and crud,

or the the one with the trap door?"

No brainer.

I use my 7000 casting out while standing in water,yeah sure every reel gets a dunk every so often.Doesn't stop me from using it,the easy access system is very minimal and shouldn't create any problems.I like the reel and use it for fishing,and so should you.

A had a Conquer 4000, fished it twice and sent it back to Penn because you could hear and feel the gears grinding. Penn sent me a new reel and I immediately sent it back to them because I could hear and feel the geers grinding. Penn loaded it with grease, so much grease it was coming out everywhere. I sold it on ebay and bought a Stradic. You want to upgrade, buy a Stradic, ditch the Conquer, they are garbage.

I fished a Conquer 2000 in November for a couple hours ( even caught two fish with it)

I thought it was pretty nice :)

I borrowed it from my little brother, a dyed in the wool Shimano snob, he bought the Penn in a pinch a couple years back down is Florida when his Stradic **** the bed, said the Penn was his only real choice at the nearest tackle shop because it was all the guy had in the size he wanted.

He loves it... swears by it calls it a "Tank" and say's its been "bullet proof"

I thought it was a liitle heavy for its size... but for $100 I would buy two :th:

Thanks for all the info guys.

I am leaning towards returning them, but I don't know yet.

The fact that they are selling for so much more might be my only reason for keeping them because I do not boat fish. Im really always on shore or maybe a kayak, but it still gets pretty wet on the kayak.

thanks again.