Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cowcatcher

Inner Tube Finger Guard & Breakaway Cannon

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I've been trying to cut some finger guards from an inner tube, but cant seem to get them to fit right.  I cut a hole for the knuckle and tried to angle down the end, but I feel like there's a better way to do it.  Can someone post a pic of one?  Many thanks!

Also, in searching though old threads for an inner tube guard pic a came across repeated references to the breakaway cannon.  It seems like this is used mainly when throwing heavy weight -- does anyone use one for plugging in the 2-3oz range?  I like the concept of not having to worry about gloves, inner tubes, or medical tape.  What I did not see was a description on its use when repetitively casting - if you have to "load" it by wrapping the line multiple times then I think it would slow down the process to much to be worth it for my application.

Many thanks and tight lines!

Forget gloves! Tighten down your drag so it doesn't slip on the cast, change your braid to a rounder braid. Go with sufix 832 or pp super slick. This should eliminate the issue.

I used 30# super slick last year and had no cuts. Even after 3 days straight of fishing in the water at Cutty.

You shouldn't need a finger guard tossing that weight.

Medical waterproof tape or hockey tape works wonders. Some like the Aquaskinz or the Gamakatsu glove also.

The Brakeaway cannon works well but you have to get use to using it.

The breakaway is good for chunking and heavy sinkers (5oz and up) or if you have a cut in your finger..For plugging, use any of the finger guards options...all are good options..

Hockey tape, lifetime supply is about $1.50. I don't even use spinning reels but I carry some for my friends who forget.

I've used 30 # power pro, sufix and sufix 832 for plugging, with is repetitive casting with plugs up to 3 oz. and have never used any glove, guard or tape nor have I ever been cut.

I spent a month mustering and yarding Sheep with a mate once. The burs and grass seeds toughened he hands to the stage we couldn't make a fist.

Would come in handy these days. I have the hands of a typist.

Bryan

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan G View Post

I spent a month mustering and yarding Sheep with a mate once. The burs and grass seeds toughened he hands to the stage we couldn't make a fist.

Would come in handy these days. I have the hands of a typist.

Bryan

Well, I got nothing on that.  Stuck in the office all day - even paper cuts.

I had gotten cut a few times when first starting to use braid--I had to do something.  I had tried the medical tape, but I'm sure Stewie's suggestion of hockey tape is more durable. 

I had gone with this, and ultimately began taping it on:

It's a Clover natural fit leather quilter's thimble.  However, I don't use anything, any more.  I still have girly-hands, but I've learn how to cast it.

I hold the line with the tip of my finger--beyond any fleshy portion into which the line can create a crease.  This works for me with 30# braid and casting 3oz.  The line is away and free almost immediately in a much shorter movement of the finger, and there is essentially nothing to keep it from sliding free.  (FWIW)