Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Crs2006

Prototype lightweight hula popper

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I tied this up tonight after a few beers.  I was looking to make a hula popper style fly for my new 2 wt.  Its tied on a Gamakatsu Stinger 2/0.  Foam body with knotted Bass Pro Unique Hair legs.  I threw some zap a gap on the knots in the hair.  It makes the legs sit lower in the water.  This hair is stiff enough to give the legs a kicking motion on the retrieve (which ive been trying to get for a while after seeing a conventional bait built with that action).  I threw in a black and olive marabou skirt to imitate the plastic skirts on classic hula poppers and to hide the hook bend a bit, while at the same time cutting weight.  

I glazed most of the body with hard nail polish coating except for the bottom lip, hoping that the movement of the soft foam bottom lip against the pressure of the retrieve will push the entire fly under the surface in a more erratic and "loud" manner. 

Its a bit sloppy as its really just a first run, but if it works, i'll devote more (sober) effort to tying it better.

AppleMark<br />  <br />

AppleMark<br />  <br />

The old time Hula Popper didn't have legs out the side if I remember. I like the foam head and your double foam I think you should work on just a tail, make it easier to cast as well. Keep us posted, so far so good.

Appreciate the feedback. Im not the best tyer, so its helping me get better and more creative. the hula does not have legs, but i threw them in to see how it would work. Im going to tie legless versions too, likeley with bucktail and a marabou collar. The main thing i love about old hulas is how much water they throw around and the body profile. Ill definitely test and modify this pattern. Just wish it was warm enough to fish....

The body is sweet .I'd go with rubber legs on that bad boy like the original . A big bug on a 2 weight is asking a lot for that rod .Just a recipe for disaster IMHO it can be done I've resorted to doing the same thing will panfishing ,Not enjoyable or efficient  to cast fun as all heck when you nail a good Bass but not the best tool for bugging.

Thanks for the comments!  I have this 2 wt that is fast, and probably a 3 wt in reality.  I put a 4 wt WF line on it the other day and went out to the pond and threw some of Kevin Price's foam body poppers with rope legs and rabbit strips.  I got a little fly "bounce" on both sides of the cast, but once I got about 25 feet out of the tip I could shoot it out to 50 ish feet pretty consistently.  

There is a fly I love called Stewart's Dancing Frog, which is basically a dear hair Hula.  I love that fly, but wouldnt dare throw it on anything lighter than a true 5 wt.  I wanted to make something slightly smaller, much more lightweight, that wouldnt get waterlogged, on the same size hook, while retaining the water movement properties of that fly.  

The legs are purely experimental.  I saw a conventional bait that had leg "attachments" that were made specifically to kick.  I tied a very small panfish popper in a similar style with a bunch of rubber legs tied out to the sides like that.  The fly has a sweet kicking motion that I always thought looked really good in the water, but could never replicate it on bigger flies.  I tested this Unique Hair out in a bath tub on basically a mock up version of the fly you see here, and it has that kicking motion, so we will see how it goes.  I may abandon that feature in favor of a beefier skirt on the back.

Took it out on the test pond. Steady wind casting with the 2 wt. It casts very nice with no bounce. It never fouled, and the action, water movement, diving action, and kicking motion is INSANE. Best motion ive seen in a frog fly. I will need to use a sarker color on the legs, and im going to either put much mor marabou, or switch to a different material for the tail. I had a tendency to land on its back, but not too often. I got to figure out a way to minimize that

Seems like the concept works very well, just got to tie it better and add those enhancements.

Thanks for all the comments.

Here is an updated version, tied while not drinking beer lol

Added olive bucktail to the tail section, and chartreuse as the leg color instead of white (which I noticed went almost translucent in the water).  Instead of knotting the legs, I used small strips of duct tape coated in Zap a Gap, then cut the hair diagonally to create "feet".  This made it easier for me to shorten the legs slightly, which makes them stiffer overall, which should produce a more crisp kicking motion.  I left more foam around the head this time, hoping to give the fly a more natural position in the water film as all the weight is concentrated near the hook bend, and to increase the noise on retrieve.

AppleMark<br />  <br />

<br />

<br />

Nice work, I love the creativity :th: .

I also like the rubber legs idea.

As for landing on it's back have you tried attaching it with a loop knot to your tippet? Maybe single lay of foam on bottom? Or a less buoyant material on the belly??

Keep up the great tying :clap: .

Alan

Thanks for the comments and encouragement.  I took it out yesterday, and its quite "froggy", unfortunately the pond I test patterns on has no predatory fish in it.  I had some minor fouling problems, but then again I was in a stiff wind with a 6 foot 2 wt.  Ill probably continue to evolve this pattern as the season rolls on.  I'm now working on building a much cheaper Bisharat Pole Dancer, trying to get that magic side to side zig zag action.  I have the concept fly drying on the vise while I'm here at work, should get a few tests casts with it this evening.