Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigBillJettyJockey

Braid or not?

11 posts in this topic

I've heard it said that the 704 Greenie isn't "braid friendly", but then again I've also heard that it is. I've picked up a second spool and was thinking of going braid on it. I pretty much fish bait with my 704 using mono, but often wished I had a spool of braid to toss plugs when conditions warrant it.

What is the common consensus on this matter? :huh:

Thanks Tony.

Original Fireline isn't braid? What is it then,and how does it compare to braid? Thinner diameter than mono? No stretch? Handles abrasion? Enquiring minds (at least mine) want to know.

Bill, you want original fireline fused smoke gray color 20lb. It's not like other 'superlines' it's fused together as opposed to braided. It's a little stiffer than regular braid but not as stiff as mono, no memory. It handles the bit of slop in the old spinfishers much better than super limp regular braids. No stretch, thinner than mono, breaks waaaaay above 20 lb, good abrasion resistance (coming from a guy who strictly fishes on rocks) I think you'll be happy with it once you try it. I'm on the bulk spools at this point.. Love the stuff on all my 706s 710 and van staals.

Bill, you want original fireline fused smoke gray color 20lb. It's not like other 'superlines' it's fused together as opposed to braided. It's a little stiffer than regular braid but not as stiff as mono, no memory. It handles the bit of slop in the old spinfishers much better than super limp regular braids. No stretch, thinner than mono, breaks waaaaay above 20 lb, good abrasion resistance (coming from a guy who strictly fishes on rocks) I think you'll be happy with it once you try it. I'm on the bulk spools at this point.. Love the stuff on all my 706s 710 and van staals.

Just what I was looking for! Thanks for the info, and now to chase down a spool or see if my local B&T can spool in on for me.

What AL617 said. I run Fireline original up to 30# on all my Penn spinners First Generation through Fifth. Would never put mono or braid on again. Real strong, lays good enough on the spool and no wind knots.

Firelined the ol' 704 and it whistles off the spool without a problem. Some of the best casting line I've ever used. (Now, it's too bad "there are no fish in RI" so I could give it the ultimate test.)

Thanks all !

Sounds like a plan on Using the, "original," Fireline on the 710z and above, what about the smaller sizes? Like the 714z? Anywho... Looks like I'm loading up on the original stuff.

I spooled my 704z with power pro 30lb.  Fished it for weeks with not one issue.  I have read all of the bad comments and still decided to go with it as I have been using PP for  many years.  Majority of the time the issue is with the user. 

It depends on the type of fishing your doing. I have had nothing but bad experiences with PP when throwing lighter baits in any wind at all with Penn spinners. If it's metal, heavy plugs or bait minimal issues. Did a test fishing inshore for reds and trout a couple months ago in FL around mangrove islands. Light plastics and a 4400SS spooled with PP. Drove me nuts for a whole day. Could not wait to get to shore and change to Fireline. Next day no issues. To each their own.