Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chooch

Mono or fluorocarbon

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Most don't ever use wire leader. The only time I've ever used it (try not to bust my balls to bad for this) is when fishing for blue fish during the summer on party boats. Never when there's any bass around because I feel it greatly decreases your hookup ratio. I think most people feel the same

Flouro for Striped Bass is a waste of money in my opinion. Flouro is for fish that can be line shy like false albacore, albies would be the only species I would target with flouro. Also, it cuts into itself pretty bad so the pound test rating is only about 50% at the knot. Meaning if you have 20# test flouro, the line will break somewhere around 10# at the knot.

Flouro for Striped Bass is a waste of money in my opinion. Flouro is for fish that can be line shy like false albacore, albies would be the only species I would target with flouro. Also, it cuts into itself pretty bad so the pound test rating is only about 50% at the knot. Meaning if you have 20# test flouro, the line will break somewhere around 10# at the knot.

Agreed. Just use regular mono or a mono leader material and you will be fine.

I would not call someone foolish for using fluorocarbon. I have had the most success with 50 pound Ande. I know someone who catches a lot of bass with nylon coated wire leader. Some people like the fluoro for its consistency, etc As one person said that if you consider the cost of the rods and reels and mainlines we use, it is not a huge loss.

1. bass don't get line shy? wrong

2. fluoro cuts into itself and can only achieve 50% knots? wrong

Hey guys thanks for the info. I bought a small spool of fluorocarbon to try it out. It is pricey that's for sure. I've caught all my bass on 80lb mono leader in the surf and jetties. But I wonder on the nights I caught nothing with some hits was it my leader being to visible. Who knows its all a learning curve.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip0ls View Post

agree.gif             .

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinions. And with the above (obviously a fluoro fan) I respectfully disagree.

1. When it comes to Striped Bass around these parts, fluoro vs mono is not going to make a big consistant difference in hookups one way or another to justify the extra cost.

2. Get some fluoro, tie it to a boga grip or other similar scale and then to something heavy then start pulling on it while watching the scale when it snaps.