WTB - Reading the Water, Robert Post

That sounds great. Do you make it to the vineyard at all? Trade for a day on the boat, chasing albies? or a night drifting for stripers?

As for hardgoods im not sure its been a while since i did inventory. I make most of my plugs so ive got some of that....

That sounds great. Do you make it to the vineyard at all? Trade for a day on the boat, chasing albies? or a night drifting for stripers?

As for hardgoods im not sure its been a while since i did inventory. I make most of my plugs so ive got some of that....

i could do something like that but you would have to grab me at falmouth,i am friends with steve from larry's pm coming

Never saw the attraction in the book, a bunch of stories from some real bass folks and a bunch more from from Sunday afternoon sun catchers about their MV Derby winners. I guess its a little entertaining but reading about a 75 year old couple sitting in a beach chair at 2PM soaking butterfish and catching a trophy striper is just pure luck. Regardless, you won't learn a thing and even most of the people seemed boring to me. As for getting a copy of "The Big One", maybe the worst book on stripers and surf fishing I've ever read.

If you want good reading and to learn stuff, try Daignaults stuff, all top shelf, Zeno Hromin's's books are terrific, and then you have Woolner, Lyman, Rosko, Boyd, Taboury, Karas, Fallon, etc. all good authors

Other then Hromins books, I haven't read anything new in the last 5 years that I'd pay for again, most are awful, read them you'll see. You want bad, try Montauk Confidential, unreadable, DJ Muellers last couple were almost as bad.

You want entertaining striper reads, The Shining Tides by Win Brooks a novel written in the 50's about a giant striper and the folks that hunt it, or even On the Run by David Debendetto (sp?) a more recent book about travelling with the bass athey migrate from state to state.

I wouldn't waste 15 minutes of my vacation on most of them.

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM

maybe being from nj you dont get the charm of fishing on the vineyard but for most of us up in mass its one of the best reads and 1 i reread every spring. you need to read between the lines because there is a lot to learn from it . the big one is good i have fished with alot of them , julian and morgan. i guess everyone has different tastes, but i highly recomend reading the water

I agree with you Hardbait. Funny thing...............all that RiddleFish's post was about was where to buy a copy of the book. He didn't ask for a critique or a personal opinion about the book.

I hope that you have found a copy and enjoy it RiddleFish. If you haven't found one yet try Amazon.com. Another place to look is Abebooks.com.

Good luck, happy reading and enjoy your time on MV!

Bill