Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sandbyme

Ocean Kayak " Sidekick"

6 posts in this topic

I think I have found the perfect kayak for big striper fishing off the beach. I bought one yesterday after looking around at evrything else.

It is a 12.5 ft semi-wide tri-hull that is made for one adult and a small child seat just forward of your feet. It is very stable and does not have any stuff to get in the way as you are fighting fish. it has a nice flare and rocker in the bow area for surf launching.

The child seat area is absolutely perfect for storing your big fish. It comes in at around 52 pounds. I did have a 10 ft Old Town that did OK but there was not much room to store fish.

Check it out, It fits the bill for me.

If it works for you , that's all that matters. For me, it's a bit wide, no rudder, rather have some hathc up front rather than a open area. But if it works for you have a blast. Scott

When shopping for a yak, I wanted simplicity of design and plenty of fish storage space that was easily accessable just forward of my feet.

The large open area was exactly what I wanted to store the 20-40 pounders we catch regularly in the winter. I was tired of having fish all over and under my legs. The flat recessed child seat area serves this purpose perfectly (after adding bungees).

I surf launch 90% of the time sand the hatches seem to be more of a liability than they are useful. Very few people can crawl up into the front of a kayak and get anything out of the forward hatches especially when out in the ocean. It does have has a small waterproof storage area just forward of the large enough for a cell phone, a camera and other small items.

The large uncluttered, non bulkheaded deck is easily modifiable for fishing Also if I have to surf one in on my belly the large flat areas are perfect.

I like kayaks that are unrigged so that I can put equipment where I want it, not where the manufacturer believes I want it. If it is not within arms reach 90 % of the time it is useless in the ocean.

It is paddles and tracks really well for its 32.5 inch width and does not at all feel too wide.

I am also going to use it as a family boat during the summer and it will serve both purposes very well. Whn I want to turn it into a fishing machine, I just add a rod holder and four bungees.

It has the makings of a great surf boat. It looks like a lighter, more agile, Malibu II.

If you are using it to punch in and out of surf, it's a great design. Awesome rocker.

Of course all boats are pluses and minuses.

First it's an OK so I'm always suspicious that it will take on water (some do some don't, never can tell).

It doesn't have the below deck storage, especially for rods.

Personally I have no problem accessing hatches on the water, and I don't have a great way to keep rods and reels dry above deck.

Between the rocker and the length, it won't tour as well as some boats, but if you're not in a hurry, who cares.

If you're a "put-in, take-out, drive-to-the-next-site" surf fisherperson, this looks like a great boat. I really like the lines for the surf zone. Bet you can bring it through the surf much easier than most other SOTs folks are using.

Yes, the seat is dry and is actually slightly higher than a the majority lot of yak seats. (I would average it out at about an inch or so). I weigh about 135 lbs, the yak is rated for 300-350 pounds.

We are headed out tomorrow morning in the ocean for some striper fishing. Should be perfect condititions down here. I let you guys know how it was.