Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bugbouy04103

Waters Getting warmer, days are getting longer...

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hey gang,

I was a bit bored after work and started to look at the statiscal data from our friends at NOAA. Looks like the average water temp is starting to climb nicely... coastal waters are starting to get into the mid to high 40s.

With that being said, is it a bit premature to expect that we salt water freaks should start scouting out our favorite spots and getting gear ready for another striper season...

Never to early to scout.The stripers may not be here yet but the big storms from this winter have changed many fishing spots.lots of sand has shifted around and erosion has deposited more . Go at low tide and look over your favorite fishin' hole to see what may have changed. This will save you valuable fishing time when they show up.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugbouy04103 View Post

Hey gang,

I was a bit bored after work and started to look at the statiscal data from our friends at NOAA. Looks like the average water temp is starting to climb nicely... coastal waters are starting to get into the mid to high 40s.

With that being said, is it a bit premature to expect that we salt water freaks should start scouting out our favorite spots and getting gear ready for another striper season...

I would say this week is a good week to go scout, it's supposed to be 50's and 60's around me, and low tide is late afternoon/early evening so it's a perfect time killer after work before bed for me.

I think I shall clean out the back seat of the truck this afternoon and get the tackle boxes and poles ready then. In years past I have been hesitent about starting the season off to early but with a better work schedule and whatnot, I think I just might go see whats kicking around for bait in the harbor. I know that the state will be slow but am thinking that the auction house might be good for getting some lines wet.

Will keep you posted

Just checked the temp data again and friends, we are holding steady at +/- 45 degree water temps from as far out as jeffery's ledge. Coastal buoy reports are showing a strong +45 degree water temp from New Haven CT all the way up to Portland ME, its still in the high 30's to lower 40s out at the grand banks out threw the northern channel. Unfortuantely our friends up the coast of maine along the central and northern shelf are still hovering in the low 40s but its been a great improvement in a couple weeks.

That is your accufishing temp check from someone with way too much time on their hands

I'm Jonesing hard for May.I tried some landlock salmon fishing to stifle the urge but 16" to 20" skinny ass salmon just don't fight like stripers.:thumbd:

You just need really light tackle Maniac haha, try one of those Toy Story rods they sell at Walmart for 7.99, that should make it a true challenge! I'm still waiting for ice out up in the Rangeley region to start my freshwater season, there might be Stripers in Saco before the ice is off of the lakes up there. http://www.baldmountaincamps.com/webcam.shtml

Im taking the first big "walk" this weekend. Old age is setting in, High BP and the doc says I need more exercise. Sorry honey, the dr says I need long walks in the surf.

My favorite diagnosis.

Cheers to this new season that is upon us.

Jim

Well gang, its been another week or there abouts and what amazing weather the last few days have held. Looking at the NDBC website, we are starting to see a great progressive trend that is making some of our brothers and sisters of the tight line feel the itch earlier than normal.

Coastal water temps are up to near 50 or better all the way from down around the cape and CT up threw the western maine shelf. Even the more northern coastal waters are warming up after the spring run offs with Jonesport buoy checking in at a strong 45 degrees and warming up along the eastern maine shelf down to rockland which shows to have 47.5 degree surface temps. Portland harbor is running a strong 52 degrees down threw wells at a constant 50 degrees. Stellwagen throught to Jeffery's Ledge is showing promise with temps holding between 47 and 50 degrees as well. 48 to 50 in and around boston harbor is giving our friends in the area some beautiful water temps to wet their lines... all and all a great way to start off the month of May. Until next time, Tight Lines and big fish!