Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shutterfish

a little help maintaining my yak...

9 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I was just wondering if you guys could help me out here. Last year was my first year with my cobra navigator. This ismy first winter trying to figure out how to clean her up wink.gif There's plenty of dirt kinda dug into it and I was wondering what the best thing is to use to scrub it off.

Also, I had a wooden platform put on by the fella that sold it to me for a trolling motor mount, but the kid who lives above me broke it off (don't ask mad.gif ) and now I need to take it off and all the screws out. What can I use to patch up those holes?

I fish in a pond with lots of wood/stumps and scratched the bottom of the yak of pretty good- nothing really deep or anything, but is there somethiing I can coat the bottom with just to smooth it out and fill in the little grooves before I put more in there this season? Shoudl I even bother? How thick is that plastic?

Ok, I think that's enough for now. Thanks in advance for your help smile.gif

#1 A power washer will get rid of the dirt & grime, I accidentally hit mine with a power washer in a few places last spring and was surprised how clean it got it. I was actually washing something else when I did this, I personally prefer the patina the dirt leaves wink.gif .

#2 Put a stainless nut,bolt and washer in place of the screws / bolts you remove and seal with a silicone based caulk.

#3 Thick, leave it alone smile.gif .

We use comet cleanser at the shop to clean the scum. It will bleach out the dirt trapped in the air bubbles from manufacturing. Bolts or melt matching plastic into the holes. Forget about the scratches.

BARRELL

I agree "forget about the scratches" your going to get plenty more.

I use little white plastic plugs you can get at HD or Lowes They can be dyed to match your yak with Rite fabric dye.

Keep a coating of a UV protector on it (armoral or 302)

Simple Green and a brush works pretty good on scum and other marks. 303 is great stuff, but don't put it on anything you don't want slippery, like your cockpit, trust me on this one redface.gif .

I also like Simple Green for cleaning.

You could also use wellnuts to fill the holes if it's a difficult place to reach from inside. Hardwear stores have them.

If you happen to have an Ocean Kayak they will send you free of charge "weld rods" to melt into holes and scratches that match your yak color. they also send along a patch of yak material if you really make a hole, just another reason I like the company. Send an email to OK at service@oceankayak.com and send the particulars of your boat.

Power washer is superior for cleaning, easy too. I replace with SS nuts and bolts too, and screw the scrathces. Each one has a story!