Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chefchris401

8.5" Pikies

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

This my first attempt at making a big pikie, so far pretty happy with the results.

8.5" long and close to 4oz, figure with paint and epoxy they should be 4oz or 4.25oz

pikie 4 lip, 6x 4/0 VMC hooks, 500 lb kroks, pic shows split rings but will probably run cut hooks on em.

these were turned from 2" clear AYC

testing today went well, they stayed on top with a big tail wag on a slow steady retrieve but was able to get them to dive down about 4 feet on a moderate retrieve and once they were down they stayed there on slower retrieve.

Haven't decided if I'm going to chin weight them behind the lip, might do 6 that way and leave the other 6 the way of the tester.

going to sand and prime the rest this weekend and paint next week, will keep updating as I go.

filmed a short video on the iphone, but cant seem to upload it.

Nice work Chef. Is this a commercial batch or for personal use. That looks like a lot of plugs! When you put the weight in the chin does that just make it dive a lot easier (slower retrieve)? Does it increase the wagging action at all?

Nice work Chef. Is this a commercial batch or for personal use. That looks like a lot of plugs! When you put the weight in the chin does that just make it dive a lot easier (slower retrieve)? Does it increase the wagging action at all?

personal batch, i dont sell any plugs, just build for myself and friends and give some stuff away for people to fish or fund raisers/raffles.

the plugs you see in the back are a batch of small surfsters, 6" and 2oz, made 36 of those as they slay in the back bays. Only made 13 pikies.

I havent turned any plugs since 2011, moved a few times and sold my equipment and got back into it full swing this winter, got a lot of wood for free from construction friends and bought some sweet 2" ayc. My personal stash was pretty low, so i turned a lot of plugs this winter something like 175-200. plugs are great trade bait and help make a deal sometimes, also nice to give stuff away to new people i fish with or at demos. Ive already given away a couple dozen to friends and guys on here and have a batch of plugs going to spring fling next week.

the chin weight keeps the nose down and tail up, helping it wag on the surface.

or depending on where the other weights go makes them into a deep or medium diver.

personal batch, i dont sell any plugs, just build for myself and friends and give some stuff away for people to fish or fund raisers/raffles.

the plugs you see in the back are a batch of small surfsters, 6" and 2oz, made 36 of those as they slay in the back bays. Only made 13 pikies.

I havent turned any plugs since 2011, moved a few times and sold my equipment and got back into it full swing this winter, got a lot of wood for free from construction friends and bought some sweet 2" ayc. My personal stash was pretty low, so i turned a lot of plugs this winter something like 175-200. plugs are great trade bait and help make a deal sometimes, also nice to give stuff away to new people i fish with or at demos. Ive already given away a couple dozen to friends and guys on here and have a batch of plugs going to spring fling next week.

the chin weight keeps the nose down and tail up, helping it wag on the surface.

or depending on where the other weights go makes them into a deep or medium diver.

Cool. Thanks for the reply. Pikies are probably my favorite looking plug. Remind me of a car or a bus or someting.

Chefchris, that is a great shaped pikie. Nice job................ Mike

Mike coming from you that is a great compliment, so thank you. i based my design on a few pikies I've owned and fished, yours being one of them, wanted a big profile that swims at slow speeds.

Update: plugs are all sanded, going to try and prime today if I can find the time, then paint next week, planning on doing a few in a realistic bunker pattern, as real looking as I can get with spray cans anyway.