Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bayview298

Info for OBX fishing

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I know this isn't a local topic but I posted it on the H/OBX forum and haven't had any replies. Thought maybe some of local guys might have fished the Corolla NC area.

Going to be on the OBX right at the Virginia border the week of 5/18-5/25 and was wondering what type of surf plugs to bring. I fish the Cape Cod Canal almost exclusively by topwater plugs and was looking for info on what would be the best type, color, and size to bring for day break plugging.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Tom H

Thanks thebandman

Then maybe bucktails worked along the bottom might be a better idea. I've never fished anything but the Canal for the last 30 years so i'm like a rookie on the beachs.

I've only fished down there a couple of times and both during "off" times of year but it seemed like most folks stuck to the bait scene. Shrimp seemed to be the standard and we caught lots of "junk" fish including a 12" hammerhead which was probably the cutest freakin thing I've ever seen come out of the water.

I'm sure there is a plugging scene but we were definitely NOT in the know.

Use the search function in the obx furum and if it's happened someone's probably written about it. Good luck.

Bayview....I'm headed down to OBX from the 4th to the 11th. I don't have much experience down there either but I do know not a lot of guys fish plugs. Bait and jigs seem to be the way to go, and wind, which equals water temp, is critical. Drum and a lot of other species have the potential to be around. Find your way to Hatteras Jack's, Frank and Fran's, or Red Drum Tackle and someone should be able to point you in the right direction. I'm still bringing some plugs with me as dawn and dusk will be spent on the beach hoping for some blues. I'm going early in May because the week you'll be down there, there is only one place I'll be. ;)

Thanks for the info chunka. I think I'll target the blues. I agree on where I should be that week but its a hugh family get together  (14 couples) at a house right on the beach. And my better half said the Canal can wait. We'll see.

Second week of July for me. One minivan, one wife, four kids, and one dog, it's going to be awesome. The good thing is my brother lives down there so I should have access to a boat while down there.