Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cliffblair

Electric anyone?

29 posts in this topic

On the west coast electric motors on yaks are just normal equipment, do any of you guys on the east coast use them? I just built and installed a neat motor mount on my Navigator, Only thing left to do is saw 10 inches off the 30 inch shaft so it does not look like a monstrosity sticking up so high. It will drop the 30 inch shaft down to 20 inches, just about right so the prop is below hull level.

Will I be all alone or do some of you use them. Maybe its a macho thing, men paddle, not relax and ride! Cliff

Cliff I have thought about putting an electric on my navigator for some time, but did not like the prop shaft length.If you cut it down can you seal it off properly??.If you can, try to get some pictures of the mounting bracket.

Thanks Doug M

The electric I have, the salt water riptide does not seem to be sealed at the top of the shaft. It looks like a slip fit with a bolt all the way through. It should be easy to pull the bolt, unslip the shaft then cut off the desired amount, redrill the top of the shaft and reinstall.

The riptide is I think overkill size wise, I may poke around for something smaller. I made the motor mount, small, strong and unabtrusive, it does not have to stick out as the motor rotates 360. I will get some pictures and post them when I am sure everything works OK. If you get serious I will be glad to make you up a mount like mine, free, one Navigator to another.

I eyeballed it and it looks like 10 inches off will make a pretty good looking rig, not rediulous sticking up. The present shaft is 30 inches.

The tankwell is perfect for the battery. I bought a 100 amp deep cycle trolling battery.

Do not use a car starting battery, it will ruin the motor and void its warantee...Cliff

I have an electric on my Kiwi Stealth....46lb thrust Riptide with a Evertroll new generation battery/charger system. An effortless 7mph for 6-8 hours till the battery wears down....then it's not so effortless getting back wink.gif

Maybe my riptide is not overkill after all! 7 mph, thats bluefish trolling speed.

It sounds like you have a great set up. I think I will run my riptide in a barrell of water on positin 2 and see how many hours I get....I was figuring maybe 3 mph trolling speed, hoping for 8 hours maybe more. Mine is 40 lb thrust I think...

Did you register your Kiwi as a motor craft or just play dumb???Cliff

My brother rigged a trolling motor on his Necky Narpa using the rudder system. He has one line that allows him to raise/lower the motor, and uses the pedals to steer. He also removed the speed control from the motor and mounted it on the deck of the boat. This allows him to have the motor at the absolute back of the boat and retain complete control from the cockpit. It's a pretty cool rig.

Cliff, if you do perfect the mounting system, I'd like to see it. I fish a Navigator as well, and I don't do it for my health. I just wanna fish! A trolling motor would be a great addition to my yak, and it doesn't need to be as elaborate as what my brother has. It would be great when the stripers are on the south side of the Suskie Flats and I'm on the north side. It ain't getting there that's tough, it's getting back wink.gif

I thought of adding electric propulsion to my Tourer, but I couldn't find a decent price on a trolling motor. Not even on Ebay. Seems the motors that are cheap are really beat up and I wouldn't rust it. Did you guys pay full retail price?

Christian there's a guy out west, in Nevada, who does essentially what your brother did. To me that's the way to go if one were to do it. I think that they say the battery is good for 12 miles at 5 mph.

------------------

baja55@optonline.net

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 08-31-2002).]

mrsinbad, what do you consider a decent price? In my experience, a new trolling motor can be had for less than a good battery. If you are looking at the high end saltwater motors designed to push a 2000+ pound boat, of course they will be expensive. A motor (30-40 lb thrust) powerful enough to move a kayak over 5 kts. can be had for about $100.00. It's not saltwater safe, but it depends on where you will use it and how well you will take care of it. You can spend as much or as little as you want.

CW,

When I say good price, I mean whether there is a discount as compared to the regular retail price I would find in a store (e.g., 20% off retail). Yes, I fish salt so it's gotta be salwater safe and I always wash everything down after an outing. Thanks for the reply.

I talked to a tech rep before buying a large minkota and he confided that as long as you wash it off any model will hold up in salt water. He was right and I had no trouble for 3 years, sold it with the boat last year.

The rip tide is more resistant, so I bought it for the navigator, have yet to try it. I am installing the motor mount today and hope to give things a try this weekend.

The mount I made for my Navigator does not stick out like the Cobra model, it is paralell with the hull. Because the motor spins 360 it does not matter. Its neat, strong and not in the way. It will be just behind my right shoulder so the extended handle is in easy reach.

I am about to mount it and my wife promises to take pictures and post them for me by the end of the day if the rain stops. I do not even know how to cut and paste!

IF any of you Navigator owners want what I made I will be happy to put one togeather for you, but lets make sure everything functions like I imagine it will.

30 lb thrust motors are available for under $100 new, but inventories are low this time of year. I paid $219 for the 40 lb thrust riptide at Walmarts. There will be some dusty show models on sale latr in the fall I am sure...Cliff

I was even thinking about one of the remote control models. It would be nice to have a hand held control like the Motorguide Lazer modles that used to be available. I think MinnKota re-introduced remote control models this year, didn't they?

Herer are some pictures to give you an idea of what I am doing.

http://www.picturetrail.com/virgo10/1086615

The mount on the reiptide is large and secure. A smaller motor with a smaller mount might be even better. I installed it in that spot hoping it clears the seat and my arm when paddling.

it is not completely screwed down, just enough for the pictures. I would prefer bolts, but don't know how I would reach that far inside to hold the nuts...Cliff

Cliff, a good tubing cutter will cut the tube down to any size you want. It will do it cleanly and neatly without having to stuff the wires down the tube. Having done this twice I would also suggest that this is a perfect time for a digital camera. After you take the top off, take pictures of the wires and where they go. Ask me how I know this. The real trick is in makeing sure you have enough length to clear the hull bottom while still allowing the handle to be within easy reach. You can make it shorter but longer is a problem.

I would also like to know how the battery works out. I would guess it weighs about fifty pounds and if it's in the tankwell then the center of gravity would probably wind up well behind the middle of the kayak. I don't know if that will create problems or not. My own inclination would be to go with some thing smaller but maybe I see a problem that isn't there.

I never thought 7 mph would be so tempting.