Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Warpedgoose

log book?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Wasn't there some software that was created to do this? Want to say there was a thread on it a few years ago

I do time of day, wind, air and water temp, tide, moon bait/lures. I also try to keep notes on the spots I am fishing (location of rip/bar/hole in relation to some landmark.

To be totally honest, I never even followed through with either. I had every intention, but I guess I got a little lazy. I still don't even have something solid that I can call a log (maybe I should have worded that differently) :D

I AM A BOAT ANGLER AND I HAVE BEEN KEEPING A LOG FOR OVER 20 YEARS. YOU CAN ALWAYS SEE A PATTERN AND WHERE THE FISH WILL BE BY KEEPING A GOOD BOOK. IT WILL DEFINITELY BAIL YOU OUT ON SOME DAYS.

I used to keep one, first in hard copy and then in a database, but I stopped some time ago. I found that when the time came to figure things out, I tended to refer to the log in my head rather than the one that was formally recorded.

There's no question that patterns emerge, and whether a log will help probably depends on your personality. I've been fortunate enough to have a good memory for details, and cursed with little patience (or time) for sitting around sifting through data, so the log really never worked out. Others who have a different sort of personality will find that a log is very useful.

For me, it's all about spotting the basic pattern, recognizing the details that make that particular day different from other generally similar situations, and using that to decide on an initial approach. After that, you abandon all attachment to preconceived notions and listen to what the fish try to tell you. If you had it right the first time, as you often will, you'll get quick confirmation. If you don't, don't be so in love with what you think that your log or your head is saying that you don't ask yourself what you're doing wrong; it may take a minor change or a major course correction, but when you figure it out, and figure why change was needed, you've got one more data point.

If you don't learn something new, or at least ask a new question, on just about every trip, you're not trying hard enough.

I have kept a log for the last 18 years. There are general patterns afoot for sure. But every year is still different.

One nice thing is that my log has helped me determine the path that the fish in my area seem to take.

This has added greatly to my catch. In other words it's less trial and error, because I have a historic reference showing me

where to be at various times of the season. Also wind and tide correlations have been helpful,too.

WARNING....logs can be depressing. The last few years have shown a big decline in fish in quite a few areas that used to

be hot spots. The logs are unforgiving in that regard.

The last few years ,I truly have had to discipline myself to keep the log. But it becomes kind of like a diary that rekindles old memories.

I kept one for about 6-7 years for a small geographical area when I first got into salt water. It was good for setting up general time frames of when to expect fish and where. Once I had that info pretty much locked in, I stopped. I'm moving to a new area later this year. I fully expect that I will keep a log there for a few years until I get that area locked down.

Other then that, there are simply too many variables to make them really useful. For things like wind, pressure, temperature, etc., you really need to know what happened on the days BEFORE you fished... not just the day that you went. Consequently tracking that data at a level that makes it useful is almost more trouble than it is worth.

The big thing with a log is to figure out WHY you are documenting something and HOW you will be able to extract and make use of the data. Without figuring out those two pieces of the puzzle, you'll just be keeping a diary. Oh, one other thing, document everything you plan to document BEFORE you get home... once you are home, life takes over and the data gets fuzzy or lost completely and never gets documented.