Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gobigblue

trying to find a new home for my dog

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

It’s very sad that I have to write this but we are looking for a new home for our 4 year old dog Finbar. I have already contacted the shelter we adopted him from to help with placement but figure the more eyes the better the chance of him finding a great new home. We can foster him temporarily, but he has to be separated from my son at all times. He is very smart, obedient and loving. He sits, stays, lays down, recalls on command and is very playful. He is fully housebroken and crate trained. To make a long story short last night he snipped at my son while he was crawling past for the 2nd time in a month and left some scary marks on his head. We’ve already made the decision that we can no longer keep him after much training and trying and crying. If you know anyone looking or are interested please reach out and let me know. We are in clark nj, right off exit 135 on the parkway.

We have had him since he was a puppy, as best we can tell he is some kind of Lab-mix, probably part catahoula because of the white eye. He loves to run around and fetch and play with balls and sticks. He probably weighs about 60 pounds.

I feel your pain, had to put one down many moons ago no one wanted him etc.... good luck with finding a home for em....wish I could help you but the one I got would not go with a buddy unfortunately..... salt

Wow man,that's tough.Good luck w/ it.

Had a dog that did that to my baby daughter,hoped it was a fluke but the 2nd time it happened I took it out and shot it.

Just a nip? Dog is looking at your kid like he is a young pup and will learn as child gets older. $10. muzzle when the tot is around the dog far less heartbreaking.

Had a dog that did that to my baby daughter,hoped it was a fluke but the 2nd time it happened I took it out and shot it.

I hope u were just kidding...ASPCA or a no kill shelter would be the way to go......

Gobigblue - an incredibly painful decision, but you are making the right call. I am a lifelong dog owner but would do the exact same thing in your position. I will pass around your post to some folks I know to see if there is any interest.

Just a nip? Dog is looking at your kid like he is a young pup and will learn as child gets older. $10. muzzle when the tot is around the dog far less heartbreaking.

it wasnt at the level of a full on dog attack where i would recommend putting the dog down, but he drew blood and i dont trust him to be near any small children at this point. locking him in our bedroom, keeping them separated, muzzling, etc are just temporary fixes and things we have done in the past with success or when we have company of small kids over, the personality of this dog, unfortunately is not something I ever see being one where he would allow himself to be around small kids and pet and lay on his back for belly rubs. Hes always tried to be dominant and I will always regret not seeing that when he was a puppy and we did the tempermant testing.

Gobigblue - an incredibly painful decision, but you are making the right call. I am a lifelong dog owner but would do the exact same thing in your position. I will pass around your post to some folks I know to see if there is any interest.

Thanks, we appreciate it. Ive always been kind of negative towards people who get rid of a dog when they start having kids because its inconvenient or whatever reason, now like anything else in life I have to see it from the other side and it sucks.

Is the dog neutered? That might take some aggressiveness away. Anyhow, I know this decision is hard but a lot of the time the right ones usually are. Good luck.

Is the dog neutered? That might take some aggressiveness away. Anyhow, I know this decision is hard but a lot of the time the right ones usually are. Good luck.

yes, he is neutered

you sound like a real class act :dismay:

I'll bet you're pretty damn proud of yourself.