Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
T Raw

Eel bait..

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

I know there are a few threads on this topic already, so this will be short and sweet. Does the bait for trapping eels differ if you set the trap in freshwater or saltwater? May be a stupid question but I want to make sure I'm baiting correctly. Thanks

can of cat food with a hole punched in it. with raw chicken in the trap is what a friend uses.  Throw the trap in an estuary or other area know to have eels.  The catfood draws them in, the chicken keeps them in there.  They can easily leave/enter the traps.  I have left live killies in a trap only to have a few eels hop in and eat them.  

Hell, I have had eels open the door on those yellow floating bait buckets to eat the killies inside.

In the sweet water ill use chicken liver in a stocking tied to the roof of trap with whole meat inside to keep em there as mentioned previously. Don't know if it makes a difference in saltwater, I know people used to use horseshoe crabs but check regs first as I am unsure.

horseshoe crabs are really the best bait, but are often hard to find, or many areas have erstrictions/limits on their take.

Dropped the eel trap in last night for the first time, came up empty. Not sure if it was to shallow, dirty, bait incorrectly, too cold. Any thoughts?

Is this a spot you've caught before?

Spoke with a local shop guy and he said his supplier hasn't even tried yet.

First time ever trying to catch my own Don, I have a feeling it was to shallow. The area wasn't more the 2 to 3 ft deep.

If it was easy we'd all be doing it instead of forking over $2-$3 each for 'em!

I would think 12 hours is long enough--at night right? I would try moving it.

Looking back on it, I baited the trap pretty lite. Only 2 small holes in the cat food and only 3 small chicken livers in the stocking. I'm just going to bait the heck out of it tonight.

I left my double chamber out for as much as two days in the Hudson. 50% of my drops came back empty. The "winning" drops were in a cove with old wood pilings and such. Dropped straight off the embankment behind my house along a featureless shoreline produced nothing.