Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joe

What's an "Entitlement"?

Rate this topic

232 posts in this topic

Is it that retirement policy I pay into every paycheck?

Is it that medical insurance policy?

What exactly are these entitlements I keep hearing about?

The right to guaranteed benefits from the government. The Farm Bill, for example, is loaded with entitlements

From West's Encyclopedia of American Law:

entitlement - An individual's right to receive a value or benefit provided by law.

Commonly recognized entitlements are benefits, such as those provided by Social Security or Workers' Compensation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not all entitlements arise out out of a quid pro quo arrangement.

Some entitlement recipients receive benefits, services, and money merely based upon their status; there is no requirement of performance past or present, or payments past or present to receive the entitlement.

"Guaranteed" until they are no longer there.

"Entitlement" is what some here like to call anything that isn't of their own "charity."   wink.gif

It's hard to say how deep the charity would go, but entitlements are something akin to stealing. 

If I paid contributions to government programs for when I'm disabled, retired or unemployed, it isn't entitlement but rather an obligaton. Entitlement is to me charity.

If I paid contributions to government programs for when I'm disabled, retired or unemployed, it isn't entitlement but rather an obligaton. Entitlement is to me charity.

Close, but not quite because charity is voluntary. Entitlements are more along the lines of the government taking money out of your paycheck so people who don't work can afford cable and a big screen TV to watch the Jerry Springer show and qualify for this benefit merely by not working for a living and being complete deadbeats.

If you pay into a program to qualify for benefits from that program, it's not an entitlement.

I know some will argue that they are so that they can equate Social Security you paid into all your life with means-tested welfare for people who don't pay taxes, don't work and don't intend to ever work for a living if they avoid such an awful fate, but that's just dishonest politics.

Private retirement policies and private medical insurance are not entitlements; those arrangements are essentially contractual.

But if you have performed your part of the arrangement your are "entitled" to performance by the policy issuers.

The federal and state governments are the sources of entitlements.

So what's your point:  that it's the same-old-same-old from Democrats; or, is in meant as a contrast of how American attitudes have changed over time? 

Originally Posted by Robert Williams View Post   Democrats then and now:

Close, but not quite because charity is voluntary. Entitlements are more along the lines of the government taking money out of your paycheck so people who don't work can afford cable and a big screen TV to watch the Jerry Springer show and qualify for this benefit merely by not working for a living and being complete deadbeats.

If you pay into a program to qualify for benefits from that program, it's not an entitlement.

Sure sounds like charity to me - at my expense. :squid:

I see that all the time in the west side of Scranton, PA. But then they are pissing their miserable lives away anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Williams View Post

Democrats then and now:

I'm a democrat,

I'm not on the receiving end of any entitlement,

I am ok if some of my tax money goes to buy meds for old ladies who's families can't or won't buy the meds for them,

it's how I roll.

Sure sounds like charity to me - at my expense. :squid:

I see that all the time in the west side of Scranton, PA. But then they have miserable lives anyway.

And you support their miserable lives and help keep them from having to go out and work and find a better life. And you don't have any choice in the matter. It would be charity if it was your choice and you reached into your pocket and gave them your money so they could sod off for the rest of their lives. But you don't have that choice. So the least we should expect out of our government who is reaching into our pocket and taking our money is to at least TRY to get these people off their asses and off the dole because it's hard enough to work and make enough to support ourselves and our families without having the government helping themselves to our earnings for the sake of the "less fortunate".

My doctor told me he encourages everyone who might quality to try to get on welfare. Then you get quality health insurance, you always have a roof over your head and you have money for groceries every month and never have to work for any of it..... all thanks to the suckers that do work for it and have crazy expensive health insurance and are out on their ass if they fall behind on their bills.