Hobie-mirage

XT

I have room for one more boat-

I've been thinking about one of these things

because it is a hassle sometimes to deal with a paddle and fish at the same time, like when you've snagged a lure, or are chasing some breaking fish- my questions are:

1. what happens to the mechanism in shallow water

2. is the hull design stable or tippy- in my book a scrambler xt is stable a scrambler is tippy

3. do you need to take a paddle with you anyway

or is that overly precautious

4. is it easy to turn the thing and correct direction inbound in the surf

5. does the peddling action more than slightly rock the boat back and forth

xt, in shallow water push one peddle forward and the mirage drive tucks up tight to the hull. I find mine to be very stable. While fishing I leave both fins down. This gives the effect of a small keel. always bring the paddle. I use mine in lakes and ponds alot. you need the paddle if you get blown or pulled into weeds/trees/docks etc as the mirage doesn't have reverse! (actually in a pinch you could pull it out and drop it in its slot backwards and it will move you in reverse) the paddle straps parrallel to the hull so it's no big deal. also in the big water I always want back up- the drive has a chain in it and, while I doubt it would ever break, you know how Murphy's law works. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Xt, I have been a surfer for over 30 years and I own a surf shop. That said I avoid kayak fishing in the ocean when the waves are over waist high. I can make it in clean 9 times out of ten in waist high waves but the odds go way down when waves reach chest high or bigger. I would worry about damage to the mirage drive or the rudder after a nasty wipeout. Not to mention all my other gear. The few times I had it out in small surf I pulled the mirage drive out and secured it for the paddle in. If you plan on fishing in the ocean you have to master waveriding on a yak.

In the summer when its warm take your yak out at a beach that allows kayak surfing and practice. Leave everything you dont want to loose at home. Just surf. If you run into any good yak surfers ask them questions. There are alot of tricks to picking the right wave and then staying in the sweet spot all the way into the beach. Who knows You may like it so much you get a waveski and start saying "yo dude" to everyone you meet.

Barrell

BARRELL