Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fisher22

New Sage Rods

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Yesterday I recieved an email from Sage introducing the new Pike and Musky rods - but it seems there is no one who is able to sell them yet - even the shops have not had their hands on them as demo's? They are built on the same taper as the bass rods only longer - should be another great tool if we can find one to cast....

found this after seeing your post

http://www.***********.com/fly-rods/specialty/pike-musky/

I forget which company made one of these a few years ago, I want to say Scott.  Similar concept.  Crazy fast action, figure 8 butts etc. 

Looks cool.  600 bucks worth of cool to replace my regular old 10 wt?  probably not.  But If I had money to burn I'd consider it

Apparently the site does not like that link.  I must have violated a rule or something.  Its a link to the product page. 

If I broke rules, apologies all around

Apparently the site does not like that link.  I must have violated a rule or something.  Its a link to the product page. 

If I broke rules, apologies all around

You did.:D

Mike

i have not fished the new pike or muskie rods yet as well. I do have the new ONE 12wt on the way (roosters). I think most of the new rods were being shipped to dealers April 1st. I know the muskie fisherman are looking forward to a stout long rod than the Sage PMP rod. Blane Chocklett is a musky guru here in the east and he told me a longer rod is needed so you reach down and figure eight the fly at the boat. Plus his muskie flies 12 to 14 inches long and are like casting a small muskrat. The muskie and pike rods have a longer fighting butt as well--this should make it easier to figure 8. Have done it yet myself but just the info i have gleaned from talking with him and clients of mine who fish with him.

For throwing such beefy patterns, wouldn't it be easier with a TH rod?  Just a thought.  I know the longer rods are tough in boats but SH big rods can be tough on the joints.  I am taking my SH 10wt tomorrow and attempt musky.

some guys are using the 2 handers but it is tough in a boat. Plus distance is not really an issue it is just having the power to get the big meat out there a few yards - musky are not spooky at all.

I gave musky a shot for the first time yesterday.  I don't know if musky are naturally spooky or not... The lake I was on was covered with anglers/boats, Marsh Creek State Park.  I didn't see anything or hear of anything yesterday... Then again it was a bluebird sky. 

Agreed on the TH from a boat.  Last fall, I was striper fishing with an 11ft switch rod and landing a fish was like a monkey humping a football.

My 10wt is good enough for the flies and set-up required.  I just need fish where the fish are.

Got any tips for my next outing?  I was throwing 6-7" Hang Times.  One was yellow, olive with cree hackle.  The other was black with blue SF blend mixed in instead of flash.  I have more flies than I know what to do with but I just focused on varying depth and retrieve not my flies.

I was targeting water 4-8ft deep, spend my time near points of creek mouths.  I don't think my fly ever really got deeper than 5ft though using the fast intermediate line.

I have the xf2 carnivore and its a killer predator rod. Has plenty of back bone and its easy to throw a mile. I'd be curious to see how the sage compares and if the tag will be worth it. Too many times I've been blinded by a guilded turd.