Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BillT

Line for a Penn 710z

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I use a 704z set up bailess, and have yet to find anything that works better than Original Fireline 20#. As ErnieA said It must be the Original Fireline not the Fireline Braid. All last year 2 wind knots (my fault) no breakoffs and palomar and uni knots hold well. It also breaks well above the stated strenght.

Do you guys use mono backing with the fireline?

only if I need to fill space on the spool - if not then a couple turn on athletic tape on the arbor will keep the line from slipping. i also only use 300 yard spools as the smaller filler spools are worthless as soon as you have to cut a good amount of line off from wear, a snag, etc - even if you aren't casting through it you'll start have have coils catch on the knot, dig into and hang up under the coils of mono, and that connection is just one more thing to fail in the system that I'd rather avoid. spend the extra money, buy the full spool, and fish with the confidence that there isn't a weak link buried somewhere 100 or so yards in.

I have a few wraps of mono backing and couldn't fill the entire spool of 300yds of 20lbs Fireline. Probably missing 10-20 yards. But plenty of line on the 710Z.

I don't know why you feel a 710Z is not braid friendly. I use mine with 40 lb. Power Pro with a little 15 lb. mono backing. The reel works just fine this way. I have no problems casting with this set up or landing a fish. I use it with a GSB1081L and 1M.

only if I need to fill space on the spool - if not then a couple turn on athletic tape on the arbor will keep the line from slipping. i also only use 300 yard spools as the smaller filler spools are worthless as soon as you have to cut a good amount of line off from wear, a snag, etc - even if you aren't casting through it you'll start have have coils catch on the knot, dig into and hang up under the coils of mono, and that connection is just one more thing to fail in the system that I'd rather avoid. spend the extra money, buy the full spool, and fish with the confidence that there isn't a weak link buried somewhere 100 or so yards in.

that is some good advice here!

I also use Orignal Fireline on my 704's and 710's. Handles like a charm. Its a little stiff for the first couple trips but softens with use. I've heard stories of PP grooveing the line roller on older Penn's, don't know how true that is but not an issue with Orginal Fireline.