Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
barraye

Big fish on, then what?

4 posts in this topic

I am in the middle of rigging a new sit-in. While in Avon NC last spring, I had no problem handling trouts from a nonfishing kayak but had some problems w a mid size bluefish. My questions are: Do I need a sea anchor? a gaff? Do I drop the rudder? Will be fishing mainly w fly rod in Maine and MV. Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks, Jacques

Sea anchors are nice for controlling your drift, but I can see potential problems with trying to use one when fighting a large fish. In fact, I've been hesitant to use one while fishing for that reason.

A gaff can be useful, but you should check your local gaffs regulations/laws. The first thing to do is make sure the fish is very tired before bringing it along side, if you intend to keep it. If you are fishing C&R, the gaff is out of the question anyway. Large toothy fish must be extra tired before I flop one into my lap.

Drop the rudder? Perhaps you mean paddle? I always stow my paddle before wetting a line. See the "Show us your yak" thread for some paddle clip options.

Lastly, two other pointers. Fish with a rod long enough to reach around the bow and stern of your boat. Try and keep the fish pulling from directly in front of you. If the fish makes a sideways run, point the tip of the rod at your bow and you'll quickly swing around to facing the fish again.

Enjoy the sleighride!

Chris

In responsse to Porter. it is a fix drop stern rudder that came w the package. I am still not sure if I will install it. I already install the paddle clip as showned in last month preveous treads. Oznavad's post was really helpful in regard w rod holder and the flush mount rod holder in between the legs. Can wait to try my new rig. thanks everybody. Jacques

A Boga Grip is worth the investment for **** alone. A hand gaff would be fine too. I've used the Boga on Bluefish to 18lbs. When I lifted that fish high (to weigh it)while sitting in the yak, his tail was still resting on my deck. Yes, it's a little alarming being in a large fishes' world, and to think kayakfisherman handle thresher sharks, and even small billfish in other parts of the world gives me shivers. (The Boga Grip does not work for those fish wink.gif