Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigBaitBigFish

Nope, not yet....soon? Didn't think so....

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

All it will take is a bit of a S/SW wind, which we should be getting this weekend, and a warming trend, which is coming up next week, and things should be right on track. Herring are on track, everything is falling into place as it should be. I think while water temp does matter, there is also a bit of a biological clock with the migration. I know they are getting them out front in NJ now, and have heard some mixed reports about other states south of us. Give is 2-3 weeks or good weather. I wouldn't be surprised to see fish last week of April.

Ah Grasshopper....so eager and optimistic you are!

Here's last year...same time.....don't go by color, use the scale, we were low 50's inshore.....we're 10+ deg off from how warm we had it last year

They'll be sluggish at best if they wander up here soon...

April showers bring May.....

The first rush of fish are working on a biological clock and once the herring have made the journey the bass will right behind. The fish have been imprinted to begin the journey to our shore lines and we do not see any changes to that time line. Say what you will about water temperatures, we still have more faith in watching the flowers bloom as to when :D

All depends on where. I got a couple of mid 30" fish in the Canal the last week in April last year. In RI, I was getting fresh migrants the last week in March, some close to keeper. That was pretty early on average though.

-bd

Caught my first legal size fish near the West End last year on April 16 - 31" - the earliest I've caught a legal size fish on the Cape since I moved here in 1973. And that wasn't my first one last year - a few schoolies a week earlier. So I'll be fishing within a week, no matter what. I firmly believe that from a fishing karma standpoint I have to be skunked a few times, early, to ensure a good season later on. OK that's nuts. But last spring and summer were my best EVER in close to 40 years of fishing the Cape, and I go almost every day.