Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hardpan

Small Waterproof Container?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Can anyone recommend a good idea for a waterproof container for storing hooks? I keep my eel hooks in a small medicine bottle in my bag, but I'm just wondering if anyone has a better idea, commercially available or homemade.

Something you can add to those bottles to help keep the hooks dry is those little silicon packages, and if you don't have those you can also add a 1/4 teaspoon of rice. That will help preserve the hooks even longer in the case of humid environments or if just a touch of spray makes it in the bottle.

cwm40.gif     May I:  2¢ ?  

Seal your hooks individually by putting them on Scotch tape and folding an end back over the hook and back onto itself:

• they will lay flat in your bag;

• won’t tangle;

• won’t all be exposed to water when getting just one; and,

• will reduce the chances of cold fingers fumbling one away.

Hint:  Fold “tabs” on each end of the tape so you’ll have easy opening; after opening, stick the one-use-only packaging anywhere, to be thrown away later. 

I use a asprin bottle that i put in the side pocket of my bag. Keeps all the hooks, swivels and clips where i need em. I also have breakaways attached to just about every zipper on my waders and tops just so i alays have one when i need it. Also have swivels attached to a few of them too, when i find one kicking around i just attach it since i lose em all the time.

Something you can add to those bottles to help keep the hooks dry is those little silicon packages, and if you don't have those you can also add a 1/4 teaspoon of rice. That will help preserve the hooks even longer in the case of humid environments or if just a touch of spray makes it in the bottle.

That's Silica packets not silicon. You can find themin most vitamin bottles or electronic equipment.

Great product . Try keeping a few packets in a Zip lock bag alone with your cell phone.

icon14.gif  Good points...

Originally Posted by flytyingguy1 View Post       That's Silica packets not silicon. You can find them in most vitamin bottles or electronic equipment.

Great product . Try keeping a few packets in a Zip lock bag alone with your cell phone.

I would bet that it's calcium chloride.  It's ice-melt that would be so labeled as being different from rock salt.   In addition to the cell phone suggestion, use it for hearing aides.  Gun shops and coin shops would carry the stuff in containers satiable for those interests.  It can be regenerated by heating it in an oven to drive the moisture off.

If one decides to use ice-melt in a mini DIY project, note that moisture adheres to it more so than the moisture being absorbed by it.  You will need to create your own barrier/separation between the wet stuff and that for which you are using it to keep dry,e.g. cotton held in place with a piece of window screen, paper clip or glue a piece of nylon hosiery.