Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
titusg

How to Convert a Canoe Man to a Yak

7 posts in this topic

One of my co-workers invited me to fish a 100 acre lake last Saturday. He brought is canoe and I brought my yak. We got into some largemouth bass. No lunkers but bass. After a while, I decided to change locations and paddled my Fish n Dive over a downed tree, my friend in the canoe followed. I didn't see it but I heard the splash as he rolled that "more stable vessel". After taking my boat out for a spin he cursed the canoe and now he's looking for a yak. Not a lot of kayak fishermen around here. It is wrong to create my own?

I'm not sure what you mean by create your own? I've addicted lots of people to this sport. Its fun as the light bulb goes on and they recognize all the neat things a kayak can do. That's how we create fishing buddies and people to do shuttle trips with.

pmjasper was over yesterday, as we were installing an "A" hatch in his Explorer, and we were talking about just that. Now that we've increased the number of kayak fisherman its easier to do river shuttle trips and all sorts of stuff with our yaks that requires more than one.

Kayaks are so superior to canoes that I'm not surprised at your friends reaction after using yours. The lure of the Darkside is strong.

JonS, I've got quite a few fishing buddies. But few who would even consider a kayak. I've taken a lot of flack about my decision to fish from a kayak and paddle! Out of the question. Lots of canoeist in my office, all with trolling motors. What happened on the lake was not by design, but it put the boat discussions we've had in the proper prospective. And my friend's doing a great job of passing the word.

They just don't get it. Poor souls. That's how so many are until they acquire first hand knowledge. I find that if someone is really a fisherman they want to catch fish. Catching fish that others can't get to of they'd spook is the best thing about a kayak.

I also love the great exercise I get from paddling.

For the motor crowd the FnD takes a motor fine and its still far superior to a canoe for fishing and stabilty and versatilty.

Not everyone can yak fish. We need some fisherman to be jealous.

I am only a month into yaking but never ceased to be amazed at fish bumping into the hull like it was just anther floating log.

I have a Pamlico sit in and had no trouble making a neat little motor mount for my Riptide electric, 10 hours at a medium speed. I would rather paddle, but I am old and sometimes the energy drains down and it is nice to coast home...Cliff Blair

Cliff, I too am always amazed at the close proximity to the fish in a kayak. I think that its our low height in relation to the water that does it. Whatever it is I have not experienced it in any other craft to this degree. A float tube comes close but the legs hanging out often concerns fish. A canoe puts one in too high a position and is similar to a boat in the way the fish act.