Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike Oliver

Two Hand Rod Day June 1 Cape Cod Sign up List

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Guys,

Time is running away with me and I am going to be extreemly busy between now and our planned TH get together. RJ has voluntered to help by setting up a mass mailing list and sending out directions to our meet up location. So below is the list as I have it. If I have missed you appologies and this is one of the reasons for doing this is to make sure all those who have signed up get to come. :)

So let me know asap if I don't have you on the list below.

So if you could please PM your email addresses to RJ (bob) and cell phone numbers copying me that will help us button this day up tightly. I appreciate that some of you have provided this info already but it will help me a lot to get it confirmed and in one place.

my email address is mikeroliver@virginmedia .com If you title your email Cape Cod TH Day I can find easily. Thanks

mike.Z

Albieaddict

Martin C

Jalthoff

Spigola

Popeneset

Bruce.Campo

Mully (Brian)

Doug rigdeel

JR Spey and friend.

GJS (greg)

Jeffsod Jeff

Schooner Fred ( Fred)

Conner. Roelke

William. Hardner

RJ Bob will be with us and Herb to (HL).

For now the list is closed but if your situation changes and you are unable to make it please let me know so we can give your place to another.

I am going to try and keep the meeting up venue set in stone. I am not going public on the forum where the meet venue is for obvious reasons. The fishing venues we will decide on the day and will be dependant of weather and what I know about the fishing gleaned from the previous week of fishing.

It would be amazing if everyone above can still make it so if you are interested in joing us for a Surf TH day which includes some casting and basic stuff plus two fishing seesions please let me know again asap.

Mike

Glad you did not call it a "Fling" Mike .......... I remember when I ran the first 3 fly fling's here on SOL at IBSP one thing was a constant... fish do not show up in any quantities at all when you name it a "Fling". ;)

Hope you all have a blast!

Thanks Jim,

It is never going to be easy trying to put so many Guys onto fish especially if everyone shows up. But if conditions are good and there are fish about we have a reasonable chance of catching. We have two sessions planned and one goes into and beyond dusk for those that want to make a full day of it.

It is in the lap of the Gods. But it will not be for the lack of trying on my behalf. Fishing is part of the day and I hope a big part but it is also about introducing some Guys to TH and sharing of skills and information between the group.

Mike

Yeah I did a TH introduction on the first fly fling .... had about 8 people give it a go. It was fun actually and very little work. But that was then and today is different than then. The activity was not nearly made as complex and mystical as it is today. I truly believe the sport is getting buried alive in how complex some will have others think it is.

Today the list of specialized casts, rods, and line/leader designs make even my head get dizzy ............ sad to see something so simple, easy, and fun to do get lost in a plethora of new wave thinking and techniques so that experts may emerge and part the sea's of confusion for the masses.

As you know Mike it is just plain ole fly fishing........... but with two hands casting instead of one; that is all it is.

Jim,

I am on the same page. I took a small group of Guys out the other day none of whome even SH fly cast. It took on average 15 minutes for all of them to have down a roll cast with pick up out of the air. Into a single back cast and forward cast to deliver. I showed them also how to do this on their non casting side when the wind is on their normal casting shoulder. Not all of us can cast left hand up the rod. 15 minutes not long. Just imagine what a Pro casting Teacher could do in say a course of just 6 lessons.

It is not hard and thats the message I want to get across. The TH is not for Elitiest Fishers. Thats just BS.

Mike

So very true Mike.... I have done the very same thing with even children and in literally minutes had them casting fishable distances of say 70-80'. Something I know would of taken several days to accomplish if I was teaching them SH casting techniques.

I just shake my head anymore when I read all the hooplah some try to make this activity into. Nothing could be further from the truth.... based on my life experiences with these fly fishing tools it's pretty frickin easy to learn and a hoot to use. ;););)

Jim,

Thats the best part " A hoot to use"

It is proving like you found to be such a hard meassage to get across.

Youngsters are brilliant Pupils no preconceived ideas or hang ups. They just do it and its great to see.

Mike

They are........ They just grab the rod and do as you tell them and they are fishing in minutes............ It's all new and fun for them and in sharing with them we get much from the experience. Those rare times you can get them on fish the same day it is really something to experience with them.

Jim,

It is and I sometimes feel guilty as I think I might be getting an even bigger Buzz than them when I see a new Guy hook up.

Wish you could be at this TH meet up.

This is turning out to be our very own private thread. LOL

Mike

Of course I'll be there if I'm able to come to CC. I could show my method which makes landing fish easier with long rod. Also how did I improve the use of bottom hand. Few tricks which I find helpful and which I use to gain distance and perhaps some "small group" Skagit if someone is interested.

Esa

Guys,

Nauset has reminded me that for MA you must have a Salt Water Fishing Licence. You can buy on line just google up salt water licence MA. Cost was last year $10 plus $1.5 admin fee. If you are over 60 you still need a licence but its free but you get to pay the $1.5 admin still.

Has everyone PM'd their details to RJ (Bob) so he can email you the directions of our meet venue. Nauset has advised me that the venue I would like is ok and the car park is undamaged by the storms and is free up to the 15th June.

If you prefer you can PM or email me and I will give you the name of the venue but you will have to find it yourself. It's dead easy if you have a road atlas or map. I don't want to flag it up on the open forum for obvious reasons.

Mike

Guys have been advised that state of MA may accept other licences from adjacent states. But you need to check out whats required. I cn't easily do that from here. But its just $10 not excactly a game breaker just a couple of cans.

Mike

To obtain a MA Saltwater Lic. Call 1 866-783-1925 7days a week from 5:00 AM - 5:00 PM.

It will be mailed to your home within 10 days.

Because I am older than dirt it cost only $1.55

Herb