Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
giff06

IBSP

23 posts in this topic

I've been out of the loop for a while, but I'm heading out the last two weekends of the month to open up the sedge house and conduct intern training for the summer programs.... If no new info comes forward by then, I will try to pump parks and forestry people for details about the southern end of the park... I bet some of the NJBBA guys can get some scoop as well.

I did an article on yak access in NJ for OTW, I got to talk to a bureaucrat in trenton and also talked to the gang at the park, the sedges and 15 are still closed. Lets hope they open up soon. My guess is Memorial Day. Just a guess tho.

SG1 Since your going to the Sedge House that might be different. My uncle was able to head down to the shack all the way down to check and his buddy fixed the roof shingles.

The CKAA has been writing letters to local gov't n state. Replies, openings & closures are being updated as they come in.

I'll do what I can with updates.

Just to be clear. The park has no access south of A-7, not just A15 or The Sedges, rather the whole park south of A7

Park closes at 6pm from I was told.

I'm sure the OTW article will be a great guide to what little areas are open.

The word is soon. Maybe within a week or two. Not from an official source, but from someone who is typically a good source. We went out to sedge yesterday from the dock just south of the A21 launch area. The park looks good from the road all the way down.

Sedge is in pretty good shape, but still needs some work. We spent the day cutting up and removing debris, resetting boardwalk and deck pilings...Everything out there except for the house either washed into the middle of the marsh, or shifted out of place.. The 100 year old house is still standing strong, and will hopefully be around for another century.

Well that is good news, particularly about the Sedge House. A lot of very good local history there. Sorta brings to mind the saying " They sure don't build 'em like they used to".:D Need to get some bayside kayak fishing in at one of my favorite and most picturesque spots. Thanks for the info.

Ed

The CKAA has been writing letters to local gov't n state. Replies, openings & closures are being updated as they come in.

So far we have been in touch with every town from South Amboy to Ortley. I was surprised by how few beaches were shut down.

Island Beach is now open from the entrance to A23, end of pavement. No access to Jetty yet, but you can access the park to the end of the road.

Seaside Park beaches are open to the public as well now.

EDIT:

A15 and A21 are open for launching

^^^^ The area looks pretty good. Got a few casts in over the weekend while working out at the sedge house. Nothing to write home about, but there was a little action with some really small fish (I've snagged bigger bunker)....

There were two crews from Alabama cleaning up the IBSP bay shore as part of the FEMA work being done to recover from Sandy. They had two boats. It was incredible to see how much debris floated up on to the land.

Be careful out there, There must be quite a bit of "stuff" still floating around and/or partially submerged.