Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jetskibrian

Got It Fixed!

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

My Lowrance GPS/Sounder broke a couple of weeks ago. I found out what the problem was last week, a broken power supply pin inside of the connector.

I called Navico, that company that makes Lowrance and a lot of other brands. They informed me that they no longer repair things but that I could send it in for a trade or upgrade model. This would have cost me a minimum of $400.

I said that I thought it would be able to be repaired.

I like the HDS 5 but I do not like that no one fixes anything.

Rob, a friend of mine recommend I try Action Electronics in Williamsburg Virginia.

I went to there on Tuesday and felt like was stepping back in time. I was surrounded by tube tv's, turn tables and reel to reel recorders mixed in with modern flat screen tv's.

Dave, the owner looked over my gps and said that he was pretty sure that it could be fixed so I left it with him.

One day later he called me and said he was able to solder new connection to the pins. He benched tested it and all is working well.

He also ran new wires, sealed and heat shrinked the connector housing.

I will run a new power supply to the unit and heat shrink the wire. I will also load the connections up with dielectric grease.

I am glad to see that there are still some businesses that fix things not just replace parts or throw them away!

I am glad you were able to get it fixed...It seems that most electronics these days cannot or won't be fixed by the manu anymore. The moto now is discard and buy new. There is a place a short distance from me that seem like the place you are tlaking about. It has been there since I was a real little boy and probably long before that. But everyone knows that if you have electronics that need to be fixed that is the place to go. Glad you were able to work it out.