Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shark lobster

POPPERS,WHO FISHES THEM ?

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

If I can find a yellow 3 1/2 ounce Polaris that floats almost level, that is my favorite. Silent Scott makes a beauty. I have 3 left. :D

The ones that float level can be left alone for a while, lloking like a dead or dieing fish, then popped like they are trying to swim again.

a gibbs polaris yellow over white has been one of my producing plugs for topwater, I switch out the rear treble for a single siwash, matter of fact I do that on all my plugs.

Any topwater plug is good if that is what they are hitting. hey Stewie I'm not "silent Scott" am I? Not sure if I ever gave you one of my plugs? If I have not that was an over sight on my part. Scott

Scott, I have a nice TrollFest popper from you. It still lacks hooks.:D

Silent Scott is an SOL member, but he rarely posts. He is an excellent plugbuilder but has been playing other games for a year or two.

a gibbs polaris yellow over white has been one of my producing plugs for topwater, I switch out the rear treble for a single siwash, matter of fact I do that on all my plugs.

I just went to my fish and game pond for a little casting event. I have been waiting since novemember to cast this recent pimped out reel i have had worked on. Speaking of yellow polaris W rear siwash...... 1000

I have a target at 75 yards from last year when I was casting. A big pine tree along the shorline. I walked off with wheel from work. I was using SS popper 4.3oz.

I put it well past 75 maybe close to 100. I didnt even go crazy with power.

The reel came back from the shop with a three foot fluro leader and It did not wind thru eyes well or maybe I am not used to it so I left 3' hanging down for the cast. I think a shorter leader might cast better I am not comfortable casting knot thru eyes. maybe its me as knot looks perfect. Anyway happy how this setup works at the moment.

Bull explained it best to me, he saw I was using a 20" leader or so, and told me to lengthen it to at least 2ft, preferably 3ft. I asked him how that affects distance, and he said think of the leader as a kite string. When you first let a kite go, often times it will sway violently back and forth. The longer the line gets, the more stable it is. The longer your leader is, within reason, when throwing stuff that you're looking to get distance with (pencils, poppers, etc), you will have less wobble in the lure because the leader will keep it on a straight course.

Bull explained it best to me, he saw I was using a 20" leader or so, and told me to lengthen it to at least 2ft, preferably 3ft. I asked him how that affects distance, and he said think of the leader as a kite string. When you first let a kite go, often times it will sway violently back and forth. The longer the line gets, the more stable it is. The longer your leader is, within reason, when throwing stuff that you're looking to get distance with (pencils, poppers, etc), you will have less wobble in the lure because the leader will keep it on a straight course.
I'm going to try to reel it up a little more and cast knot thru guides.this reel is tuned sweet! Thanks for the info trask

RR, post a photo of the knot if you can, I'm, curious what they used. Thanks. With the right knot, you should have no trouble with the guides, just the levelwind hoop.

RR, post a photo of the knot if you can, I'm, curious what they used. Thanks. With the right knot, you should have no trouble with the guides, just the levelwind hoop.
I will post it when i get home stewie. It must be like an albright or something....

Was done by ryan white so must be proper. I never tied one i usually do short leader with swivel. This is kinda new to me but seems to throw nice.he's the man!