Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ourway77

Bunker Snaggers

6 posts in this topic

Once you see a pod of bunker you cast the snagger into the pod and then reel in, yanking the rod every few seconds as if you are aggressively setting the hook.

You should feel the snagger banging into the fish and then during one of those yanks, you'll snag a bunker.

Then you determine what to do with the bunker. Some just let it flail around hoping a bass will engulf it, and you should hook up. Others bring the bunker in and liveline it on like a 9/0, 10/0 hook so they can "bait" the fish properly.

Hope that helps

Once you see a pod of bunker you cast the snagger into the pod and then reel in, yanking the rod every few seconds as if you are aggressively setting the hook.

You should feel the snagger banging into the fish and then during one of those yanks, you'll snag a bunker.

Then you determine what to do with the bunker. Some just let it flail around hoping a bass will engulf it, and you should hook up. Others bring the bunker in and liveline it on like a 9/0, 10/0 hook so they can "bait" the fish properly.

Hope that helps

Good description, but I'd add one thing: be very careful when pulling the snag rig through the water. If you "set the hook" by snapping the rod upright, you may launch the snag out of the water. I sweep the snag through the water by moving my rod in a long arc, parallel to the water. I'm usually doing this in a kayak and it works well that way. At the end of the sweep, reel quickly as you move the rod back in front of you to take in the slack and reconnect with the rig before doing it again.

I learned that lesson well, Not with a Bunker Snag but with a 6 ounce sinker and surf rod that as I wound it in it seemed to snag on something not realizing it was almost to shore, I gave it a heave and the 6 ounce hit me in the private area sending me to my knee's. Lesson well learned. Lou