Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LIStriper

Kayak for a small adult or child

8 posts in this topic

My son (8 yrs old) can not get enough of the kayak, so I was think of getting a small adult/child sized one.

Anyone have any info or experience with the KEA?

Any other good choices?

Thank

Without a doubt have him try the old towne cricket. Its are best seller with kids over 10 years. We will have them at the Kayak classis in ocean county on Saturday.

Barrel

WS makes a 10 foot and I believe 8 foot version of their tarpon series. SOT is the way to go. Fun to climb on and jump off. My oldest started on an OK frenzy when he was 7. It's a nine footer. Floats like a cork. S

A SIK will fill with water if he goes over and be impssible to recover for him, the SOT floats. S

Perception Umiak

Wilderness Systems Piccolo

These are geared toward smaller paddlers and children.

They are sit inside yaks.............which make them more fun than the sit ons IMHO icon14.gif

Sit ins are drier,warmer and more versatile in how they can be paddled.

On these fishing forums you will get more folks leaning toward the sit ons.............

but from my view of the paddling world I would have my kids learning in sit ins.

In fact my two young ones are just about ready to get their own.They have fooled around with some of my WW boats and are fairly good in them cwm12.gif

Just for fishing: sit on icon14.gif

All else : sit in icon14.gif

Ipset, good points, but I frequently take my SOT's on rivers. In fact, when fishing rivers, I like the SOT's for getting out and walking, fishing holes and general ease in using the river for more than transportation. Ever try to get out of SIK in two feet of water? 'Taint easy. But I have ot agreem for shooting class 4 and up, a whitwater yak is the cats a%^. For liong distance bluewater, SIK is the best, but for most utility yaking, I think, IMHO, the SOT will get better use by the kids.

As anside, my wife gave me hell when I tried putting the kids in SIK, "it could tip over and trap them!!"...uuhhhh yeah... so once I told her that wasn't really going to happen, they's jsut fall out, she was more enthusiastic about the SOT's. Just our families experience with small kids. Then again I convinced her to take the boy's, at three months, out sailing on the boat. S

OT owns dimension and sells it this year under the ot logo. They are both owned by a bigger company that owns ocean kayak and necky.

33lbs with a centered carry handle. with seat built in. sells under 300 bills. A lot easier to handle than the frenzy. Onlt 9 foot 6 long yet will float and paddle well with an adult up to 200 lbs and 6-2 tall.

WS does have a 10' Tarpon called the 100 and its a blast. Even Derrick can paddle it.

The 8' is called the Ripper. There isn't an 8' Tarpon.

Also consider something like an Explorer or Exhilarator. He would grow with it.